Re: TERM: Patrit

  • Vitezslav Ruzicka
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 4, 2005
      I know it sounds terrible, but the sense of "patrit" in Czech, in
      this
      case and if exaggerated, is something like "on this day, Podebrady
      are
      ruled by the radio (company)". I'd leave it up to ENS, how it express
      it nicely, better, or both :-)
      BR
      Vit

      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Turner" <czechin@n...>
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 6, 2005
        Many thanks to Jan, Valerie, Tomas, Michael G., Gerry and Vit for your
        ideas. The Czechs gave me a nice insight into the kind of situations
        where this usage might crop up - and it's always interesting to see
        how others tackle this kind of problem. Gerry actually came closest to
        the solution that I'd come up with:

        Early October will again be the time for Czech Radio in Podebrady.

        So I reckon 'belong' often doesn't work if there is this idea of 'it's
        the turn of' that Jan referred to.

        The dictionary should mark this kind of word with a wildcard sign or
        something.

        M.
        The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the
        opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
        - Niels Bohr