RE: BSER

  • ing.Sárka Rubková
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
      Ahoj,

      ze stejného soudku... Co je to?

      sarka
    • Michael Gmail
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
        Devoted, dedicated? Or just recast th' whole thing.
        Michael

        --
        "In 1957, Eugene O'Neill won a Pullet Surprise."
        - anonymous student
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 4, 2005
          Horrible usage, but nothing compared to the artcrit stuff I'm doing.
          How about "Early October will be Czech Radio time in Podebrady!!!"
          Yip, yip.

          FWIW

          Gerry

          > 'Patrit' is another of those 'slippery' words that you cannot always
          > pin down. Fronek has some good examples, e.g.:
          >
          > Slovnik patri do kazde kancelare.
          > There should be a dictionary in every office.
          >
          > OK, so this was my problem: here is the opening line of an invitation
          > to a traditional Czech Radio event that takes place every year in
          > Podebrady:
          >
          > Pocatek rijna bude v Podebradech opet patrit Ceskemu rozhlasu.
          >
          > Now was I suffering from a translator's hallucination here or does
          > 'belong' not really belong here? And if it doesn't belong, then what
          > does? I figured something out but I'd be interested to hear any other
          > thoughts on this one.
          >
          > BR
          >
          > M.
          > The worst thing about Europe is that you can't go out in the middle of
          > the night and get a Slurpee.
          > - Tellis Frank
        • Vitezslav Ruzicka
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 4, 2005
            I know it sounds terrible, but the sense of "patrit" in Czech, in
            this
            case and if exaggerated, is something like "on this day, Podebrady
            are
            ruled by the radio (company)". I'd leave it up to ENS, how it express
            it nicely, better, or both :-)
            BR
            Vit

            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Turner" <czechin@n...>
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 6, 2005
              Many thanks to Jan, Valerie, Tomas, Michael G., Gerry and Vit for your
              ideas. The Czechs gave me a nice insight into the kind of situations
              where this usage might crop up - and it's always interesting to see
              how others tackle this kind of problem. Gerry actually came closest to
              the solution that I'd come up with:

              Early October will again be the time for Czech Radio in Podebrady.

              So I reckon 'belong' often doesn't work if there is this idea of 'it's
              the turn of' that Jan referred to.

              The dictionary should mark this kind of word with a wildcard sign or
              something.

              M.
              The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the
              opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
              - Niels Bohr