RE: [Czechlist] Re: audience

  • Milan Condak
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
      navstevnici, hoste (stranek)
      take byva kniha hostu

      tady mas odkaz co mi nasel wordfast

      http://www.condak.net/found/found_audience.htm

      Milan

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Czechlist@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
      Of tomas_barendregt
      Sent: Monday, October 03, 2005 6:25 PM
      To: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Czechlist] Re: audience

      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, ing.Sárka Rubková <rubkova@l...>
      wrote:
      > Audience Information Detail
      > Audience linked to business units
      > Audience linked to countries
      > Audience Name
      > Audience Selection

      Ahoj Sarko,

      Microsoft pouziva "cilova skupina", jinak me napada jeste "publikum"
      nebo "obecenstvo". Ja osobne jsem v jednom svem prekladu pouzil "okruh
      uzivatelu" ale tam se jednalo o "audience" v uzsim smyslu (ti lide, kteri
      dostanou aktualizaci SW).

      Tom

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/EaOolB/TM

      Czechlist resources:

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • ing.Sárka Rubková
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
        Ahoj,

        ze stejného soudku... Co je to?

        sarka
      • Michael Gmail
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
          Devoted, dedicated? Or just recast th' whole thing.
          Michael

          --
          "In 1957, Eugene O'Neill won a Pullet Surprise."
          - anonymous student
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 4, 2005
            Horrible usage, but nothing compared to the artcrit stuff I'm doing.
            How about "Early October will be Czech Radio time in Podebrady!!!"
            Yip, yip.

            FWIW

            Gerry

            > 'Patrit' is another of those 'slippery' words that you cannot always
            > pin down. Fronek has some good examples, e.g.:
            >
            > Slovnik patri do kazde kancelare.
            > There should be a dictionary in every office.
            >
            > OK, so this was my problem: here is the opening line of an invitation
            > to a traditional Czech Radio event that takes place every year in
            > Podebrady:
            >
            > Pocatek rijna bude v Podebradech opet patrit Ceskemu rozhlasu.
            >
            > Now was I suffering from a translator's hallucination here or does
            > 'belong' not really belong here? And if it doesn't belong, then what
            > does? I figured something out but I'd be interested to hear any other
            > thoughts on this one.
            >
            > BR
            >
            > M.
            > The worst thing about Europe is that you can't go out in the middle of
            > the night and get a Slurpee.
            > - Tellis Frank
          • Vitezslav Ruzicka
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 4, 2005
              I know it sounds terrible, but the sense of "patrit" in Czech, in
              this
              case and if exaggerated, is something like "on this day, Podebrady
              are
              ruled by the radio (company)". I'd leave it up to ENS, how it express
              it nicely, better, or both :-)
              BR
              Vit

              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Turner" <czechin@n...>
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 6, 2005
                Many thanks to Jan, Valerie, Tomas, Michael G., Gerry and Vit for your
                ideas. The Czechs gave me a nice insight into the kind of situations
                where this usage might crop up - and it's always interesting to see
                how others tackle this kind of problem. Gerry actually came closest to
                the solution that I'd come up with:

                Early October will again be the time for Czech Radio in Podebrady.

                So I reckon 'belong' often doesn't work if there is this idea of 'it's
                the turn of' that Jan referred to.

                The dictionary should mark this kind of word with a wildcard sign or
                something.

                M.
                The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the
                opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
                - Niels Bohr