Re: [Czechlist] TERM: Patrit

  • Valerie Talacko
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
      Maybe '...Podebrady will once again be hosting Czech Radio' ?

      (although might need to use the name of the actual event)

      Valerie
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
        navstevnici, hoste (stranek)
        take byva kniha hostu

        tady mas odkaz co mi nasel wordfast

        http://www.condak.net/found/found_audience.htm

        Milan

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
          Ahoj,

          ze stejného soudku... Co je to?

          sarka
        • Michael Gmail
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
            Devoted, dedicated? Or just recast th' whole thing.
            Michael

            --
            "In 1957, Eugene O'Neill won a Pullet Surprise."
            - anonymous student
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 4, 2005
              Horrible usage, but nothing compared to the artcrit stuff I'm doing.
              How about "Early October will be Czech Radio time in Podebrady!!!"
              Yip, yip.

              FWIW

              Gerry

              > 'Patrit' is another of those 'slippery' words that you cannot always
              > pin down. Fronek has some good examples, e.g.:
              >
              > Slovnik patri do kazde kancelare.
              > There should be a dictionary in every office.
              >
              > OK, so this was my problem: here is the opening line of an invitation
              > to a traditional Czech Radio event that takes place every year in
              > Podebrady:
              >
              > Pocatek rijna bude v Podebradech opet patrit Ceskemu rozhlasu.
              >
              > Now was I suffering from a translator's hallucination here or does
              > 'belong' not really belong here? And if it doesn't belong, then what
              > does? I figured something out but I'd be interested to hear any other
              > thoughts on this one.
              >
              > BR
              >
              > M.
              > The worst thing about Europe is that you can't go out in the middle of
              > the night and get a Slurpee.
              > - Tellis Frank
            • Vitezslav Ruzicka
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 4, 2005
                I know it sounds terrible, but the sense of "patrit" in Czech, in
                this
                case and if exaggerated, is something like "on this day, Podebrady
                are
                ruled by the radio (company)". I'd leave it up to ENS, how it express
                it nicely, better, or both :-)
                BR
                Vit

                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Turner" <czechin@n...>
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 6, 2005
                  Many thanks to Jan, Valerie, Tomas, Michael G., Gerry and Vit for your
                  ideas. The Czechs gave me a nice insight into the kind of situations
                  where this usage might crop up - and it's always interesting to see
                  how others tackle this kind of problem. Gerry actually came closest to
                  the solution that I'd come up with:

                  Early October will again be the time for Czech Radio in Podebrady.

                  So I reckon 'belong' often doesn't work if there is this idea of 'it's
                  the turn of' that Jan referred to.

                  The dictionary should mark this kind of word with a wildcard sign or
                  something.

                  M.
                  The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the
                  opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
                  - Niels Bohr