RE: [Czechlist] Re: audience

  • ing.Sárka Rubková
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
      Díky Tome,

      to je presne to, co jsem potrebovala

      sarka

    • Valerie Talacko
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
        Maybe '...Podebrady will once again be hosting Czech Radio' ?

        (although might need to use the name of the actual event)

        Valerie
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
          navstevnici, hoste (stranek)
          take byva kniha hostu

          tady mas odkaz co mi nasel wordfast

          http://www.condak.net/found/found_audience.htm

          Milan

          Microsoft pouziva "cilova skupina", jinak me napada jeste "publikum"
          nebo "obecenstvo". Ja osobne jsem v jednom svem prekladu pouzil "okruh
          uzivatelu" ale tam se jednalo o "audience" v uzsim smyslu (ti lide, kteri
          dostanou aktualizaci SW).

          Tom

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/EaOolB/TM

          Czechlist resources:

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • ing.Sárka Rubková
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
            Ahoj,

            ze stejného soudku... Co je to?

            sarka
          • Michael Gmail
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
              Devoted, dedicated? Or just recast th' whole thing.
              Michael

              --
              "In 1957, Eugene O'Neill won a Pullet Surprise."
              - anonymous student
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 4, 2005
                Horrible usage, but nothing compared to the artcrit stuff I'm doing.
                How about "Early October will be Czech Radio time in Podebrady!!!"
                Yip, yip.

                FWIW

                Gerry

                > 'Patrit' is another of those 'slippery' words that you cannot always
                > pin down. Fronek has some good examples, e.g.:
                >
                > Slovnik patri do kazde kancelare.
                > There should be a dictionary in every office.
                >
                > OK, so this was my problem: here is the opening line of an invitation
                > to a traditional Czech Radio event that takes place every year in
                > Podebrady:
                >
                > Pocatek rijna bude v Podebradech opet patrit Ceskemu rozhlasu.
                >
                > Now was I suffering from a translator's hallucination here or does
                > 'belong' not really belong here? And if it doesn't belong, then what
                > does? I figured something out but I'd be interested to hear any other
                > thoughts on this one.
                >
                > BR
                >
                > M.
                > The worst thing about Europe is that you can't go out in the middle of
                > the night and get a Slurpee.
                > - Tellis Frank
              • Vitezslav Ruzicka
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 4, 2005
                  I know it sounds terrible, but the sense of "patrit" in Czech, in
                  this
                  case and if exaggerated, is something like "on this day, Podebrady
                  are
                  ruled by the radio (company)". I'd leave it up to ENS, how it express
                  it nicely, better, or both :-)
                  BR
                  Vit

                  --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Turner" <czechin@n...>
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 6, 2005
                    Many thanks to Jan, Valerie, Tomas, Michael G., Gerry and Vit for your
                    ideas. The Czechs gave me a nice insight into the kind of situations
                    where this usage might crop up - and it's always interesting to see
                    how others tackle this kind of problem. Gerry actually came closest to
                    the solution that I'd come up with:

                    Early October will again be the time for Czech Radio in Podebrady.

                    So I reckon 'belong' often doesn't work if there is this idea of 'it's
                    the turn of' that Jan referred to.

                    The dictionary should mark this kind of word with a wildcard sign or
                    something.

                    M.
                    The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the
                    opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
                    - Niels Bohr