Re: TERM: Patrit

  • tomas_barendregt
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
      > Pocatek rijna bude v Podebradech opet patrit Ceskemu rozhlasu.

      Here is my take:

      As an early October tradition in Podebrady, the spotlight will be on
      Cesky rozhlas once again.

      Tom
    • ing.Sárka Rubková
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
        Ahoj vsichni,

        poradte prosim neco vhodneho, prekladam retezce pro webove stranky a autori
        pouzivaji neustale slovo audience

        Audience Information Detail
        Audience linked to business units
        Audience linked to countries
        Audience Name
        Audience Selection

        diky

        sarka
      • tomas_barendregt
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, ing.Sárka Rubková <rubkova@l...>
          wrote:
          > Audience Information Detail
          > Audience linked to business units
          > Audience linked to countries
          > Audience Name
          > Audience Selection

          Ahoj Sarko,

          Microsoft pouziva "cilova skupina", jinak me napada jeste "publikum"
          nebo "obecenstvo". Ja osobne jsem v jednom svem prekladu pouzil "okruh
          uzivatelu" ale tam se jednalo o "audience" v uzsim smyslu (ti lide,
          kteri dostanou aktualizaci SW).

          Tom
        • ing.Sárka Rubková
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
            Díky Tome,

            to je presne to, co jsem potrebovala

            sarka

          • Valerie Talacko
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
              Maybe '...Podebrady will once again be hosting Czech Radio' ?

              (although might need to use the name of the actual event)

              Valerie
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
                navstevnici, hoste (stranek)
                take byva kniha hostu

                tady mas odkaz co mi nasel wordfast

                http://www.condak.net/found/found_audience.htm

                Milan

                Microsoft pouziva "cilova skupina", jinak me napada jeste "publikum"
                nebo "obecenstvo". Ja osobne jsem v jednom svem prekladu pouzil "okruh
                uzivatelu" ale tam se jednalo o "audience" v uzsim smyslu (ti lide, kteri
                dostanou aktualizaci SW).

                Tom

                http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/EaOolB/TM

                Czechlist resources:

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • ing.Sárka Rubková
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
                  Ahoj,

                  ze stejného soudku... Co je to?

                  sarka
                • Michael Gmail
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
                    Devoted, dedicated? Or just recast th' whole thing.
                    Michael

                    --
                    "In 1957, Eugene O'Neill won a Pullet Surprise."
                    - anonymous student
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 4, 2005
                      Horrible usage, but nothing compared to the artcrit stuff I'm doing.
                      How about "Early October will be Czech Radio time in Podebrady!!!"
                      Yip, yip.

                      FWIW

                      Gerry

                      > 'Patrit' is another of those 'slippery' words that you cannot always
                      > pin down. Fronek has some good examples, e.g.:
                      >
                      > Slovnik patri do kazde kancelare.
                      > There should be a dictionary in every office.
                      >
                      > OK, so this was my problem: here is the opening line of an invitation
                      > to a traditional Czech Radio event that takes place every year in
                      > Podebrady:
                      >
                      > Pocatek rijna bude v Podebradech opet patrit Ceskemu rozhlasu.
                      >
                      > Now was I suffering from a translator's hallucination here or does
                      > 'belong' not really belong here? And if it doesn't belong, then what
                      > does? I figured something out but I'd be interested to hear any other
                      > thoughts on this one.
                      >
                      > BR
                      >
                      > M.
                      > The worst thing about Europe is that you can't go out in the middle of
                      > the night and get a Slurpee.
                      > - Tellis Frank
                    • Vitezslav Ruzicka
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 4, 2005
                        I know it sounds terrible, but the sense of "patrit" in Czech, in
                        this
                        case and if exaggerated, is something like "on this day, Podebrady
                        are
                        ruled by the radio (company)". I'd leave it up to ENS, how it express
                        it nicely, better, or both :-)
                        BR
                        Vit

                        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Turner" <czechin@n...>
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 6, 2005
                          Many thanks to Jan, Valerie, Tomas, Michael G., Gerry and Vit for your
                          ideas. The Czechs gave me a nice insight into the kind of situations
                          where this usage might crop up - and it's always interesting to see
                          how others tackle this kind of problem. Gerry actually came closest to
                          the solution that I'd come up with:

                          Early October will again be the time for Czech Radio in Podebrady.

                          So I reckon 'belong' often doesn't work if there is this idea of 'it's
                          the turn of' that Jan referred to.

                          The dictionary should mark this kind of word with a wildcard sign or
                          something.

                          M.
                          The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the
                          opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
                          - Niels Bohr