Re: [Czechlist] TERM: Patrit

  • Jan Culka
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 2, 2005
      At the moment I cannot remember the correct English phrase describing this
      situation - but it is someting like "The stage is yours" or "The mike is
      yours" or "It is your turn now" or so.
      Briefy, the meaning is that "everything" in Podebrady is going to be full of
      Czech Radio and its people, so really something like "Podebrady will belong"
      or "will be owned by..."
      Honza

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
        > Pocatek rijna bude v Podebradech opet patrit Ceskemu rozhlasu.

        Here is my take:

        As an early October tradition in Podebrady, the spotlight will be on
        Cesky rozhlas once again.

        Tom
      • ing.Sárka Rubková
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
          Ahoj vsichni,

          poradte prosim neco vhodneho, prekladam retezce pro webove stranky a autori
          pouzivaji neustale slovo audience

          Audience Information Detail
          Audience linked to business units
          Audience linked to countries
          Audience Name
          Audience Selection

          diky

          sarka
        • tomas_barendregt
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, ing.Sárka Rubková <rubkova@l...>
            wrote:
            > Audience Information Detail
            > Audience linked to business units
            > Audience linked to countries
            > Audience Name
            > Audience Selection

            Ahoj Sarko,

            Microsoft pouziva "cilova skupina", jinak me napada jeste "publikum"
            nebo "obecenstvo". Ja osobne jsem v jednom svem prekladu pouzil "okruh
            uzivatelu" ale tam se jednalo o "audience" v uzsim smyslu (ti lide,
            kteri dostanou aktualizaci SW).

            Tom
          • ing.Sárka Rubková
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
              Díky Tome,

              to je presne to, co jsem potrebovala

              sarka

            • Valerie Talacko
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
                Maybe '...Podebrady will once again be hosting Czech Radio' ?

                (although might need to use the name of the actual event)

                Valerie
                'Patrit' is another of those 'slippery' words that you cannot always
                pin down. Fronek has some good examples, e.g.:

                Slovnik patri do kazde kancelare.
                There should be a dictionary in every office.

                OK, so this was my problem: here is the opening line of an invitation
                to a traditional Czech Radio event that takes place every year in
                Podebrady:

                Pocatek rijna bude v Podebradech opet patrit Ceskemu rozhlasu.

                Now was I suffering from a translator's hallucination here or does
                'belong' not really belong here? And if it doesn't belong, then what
                does? I figured something out but I'd be interested to hear any other
                thoughts on this one.

                The worst thing about Europe is that you can't go out in the middle of
                the night and get a Slurpee.
                - Tellis Frank

                Czechlist resources:

                Czech republic hotel Czech republic Prague czech republic accommodation

              • Milan Condak
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
                  navstevnici, hoste (stranek)
                  take byva kniha hostu

                  tady mas odkaz co mi nasel wordfast

                  http://www.condak.net/found/found_audience.htm

                  Milan

                  Microsoft pouziva "cilova skupina", jinak me napada jeste "publikum"
                  nebo "obecenstvo". Ja osobne jsem v jednom svem prekladu pouzil "okruh
                  uzivatelu" ale tam se jednalo o "audience" v uzsim smyslu (ti lide, kteri
                  dostanou aktualizaci SW).

                  Tom

                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/EaOolB/TM

                  Czechlist resources:

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • ing.Sárka Rubková
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
                    Ahoj,

                    ze stejného soudku... Co je to?

                    sarka
                  • Michael Gmail
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
                      Devoted, dedicated? Or just recast th' whole thing.
                      Michael

                      --
                      "In 1957, Eugene O'Neill won a Pullet Surprise."
                      - anonymous student
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 4, 2005
                        Horrible usage, but nothing compared to the artcrit stuff I'm doing.
                        How about "Early October will be Czech Radio time in Podebrady!!!"
                        Yip, yip.

                        FWIW

                        Gerry

                        > 'Patrit' is another of those 'slippery' words that you cannot always
                        > pin down. Fronek has some good examples, e.g.:
                        >
                        > Slovnik patri do kazde kancelare.
                        > There should be a dictionary in every office.
                        >
                        > OK, so this was my problem: here is the opening line of an invitation
                        > to a traditional Czech Radio event that takes place every year in
                        > Podebrady:
                        >
                        > Pocatek rijna bude v Podebradech opet patrit Ceskemu rozhlasu.
                        >
                        > Now was I suffering from a translator's hallucination here or does
                        > 'belong' not really belong here? And if it doesn't belong, then what
                        > does? I figured something out but I'd be interested to hear any other
                        > thoughts on this one.
                        >
                        > BR
                        >
                        > M.
                        > The worst thing about Europe is that you can't go out in the middle of
                        > the night and get a Slurpee.
                        > - Tellis Frank
                      • Vitezslav Ruzicka
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 4, 2005
                          I know it sounds terrible, but the sense of "patrit" in Czech, in
                          this
                          case and if exaggerated, is something like "on this day, Podebrady
                          are
                          ruled by the radio (company)". I'd leave it up to ENS, how it express
                          it nicely, better, or both :-)
                          BR
                          Vit

                          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Turner" <czechin@n...>
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 6, 2005
                            Many thanks to Jan, Valerie, Tomas, Michael G., Gerry and Vit for your
                            ideas. The Czechs gave me a nice insight into the kind of situations
                            where this usage might crop up - and it's always interesting to see
                            how others tackle this kind of problem. Gerry actually came closest to
                            the solution that I'd come up with:

                            Early October will again be the time for Czech Radio in Podebrady.

                            So I reckon 'belong' often doesn't work if there is this idea of 'it's
                            the turn of' that Jan referred to.

                            The dictionary should mark this kind of word with a wildcard sign or
                            something.

                            M.
                            The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the
                            opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
                            - Niels Bohr