TERM: Patrit

    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 2, 2005
      'Patrit' is another of those 'slippery' words that you cannot always
      pin down. Fronek has some good examples, e.g.:

      Slovnik patri do kazde kancelare.
      There should be a dictionary in every office.

      OK, so this was my problem: here is the opening line of an invitation
      to a traditional Czech Radio event that takes place every year in
      Podebrady:

      Pocatek rijna bude v Podebradech opet patrit Ceskemu rozhlasu.

      Now was I suffering from a translator's hallucination here or does
      'belong' not really belong here? And if it doesn't belong, then what
      does? I figured something out but I'd be interested to hear any other
      thoughts on this one.

      The worst thing about Europe is that you can't go out in the middle of
      the night and get a Slurpee.
      - Tellis Frank
    • Jan Culka
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 2, 2005
        At the moment I cannot remember the correct English phrase describing this
        situation - but it is someting like "The stage is yours" or "The mike is
        yours" or "It is your turn now" or so.
        Briefy, the meaning is that "everything" in Podebrady is going to be full of
        Czech Radio and its people, so really something like "Podebrady will belong"
        or "will be owned by..."
        Honza

        > 'Patrit' is another of those 'slippery' words that you cannot always
        > pin down. Fronek has some good examples, e.g.:
        >
        > Slovnik patri do kazde kancelare.
        > There should be a dictionary in every office.
        >
        > OK, so this was my problem: here is the opening line of an invitation
        > to a traditional Czech Radio event that takes place every year in
        > Podebrady:
        >
        > Pocatek rijna bude v Podebradech opet patrit Ceskemu rozhlasu.
        >
        > Now was I suffering from a translator's hallucination here or does
        > 'belong' not really belong here? And if it doesn't belong, then what
        > does? I figured something out but I'd be interested to hear any other
        > thoughts on this one.
        >
        > BR
        >
        > M.
        > The worst thing about Europe is that you can't go out in the middle of
        > the night and get a Slurpee.
        > - Tellis Frank
        >

        > Czechlist resources:

      • tomas_barendregt
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
          > Pocatek rijna bude v Podebradech opet patrit Ceskemu rozhlasu.

          Here is my take:

          As an early October tradition in Podebrady, the spotlight will be on
          Cesky rozhlas once again.

          Tom
        • ing.Sárka Rubková
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
            Ahoj vsichni,

            poradte prosim neco vhodneho, prekladam retezce pro webove stranky a autori
            pouzivaji neustale slovo audience

            Audience Information Detail
            Audience linked to business units
            Audience linked to countries
            Audience Name
            Audience Selection

            diky

            sarka
          • tomas_barendregt
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, ing.Sárka Rubková <rubkova@l...>
              wrote:
              > Audience Information Detail
              > Audience linked to business units
              > Audience linked to countries
              > Audience Name
              > Audience Selection

              Ahoj Sarko,

              Microsoft pouziva "cilova skupina", jinak me napada jeste "publikum"
              nebo "obecenstvo". Ja osobne jsem v jednom svem prekladu pouzil "okruh
              uzivatelu" ale tam se jednalo o "audience" v uzsim smyslu (ti lide,
              kteri dostanou aktualizaci SW).

              Tom
            • ing.Sárka Rubková
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
                Díky Tome,

                to je presne to, co jsem potrebovala

                sarka

              • Valerie Talacko
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
                  Maybe '...Podebrady will once again be hosting Czech Radio' ?

                  (although might need to use the name of the actual event)

                  Valerie
                  'Patrit' is another of those 'slippery' words that you cannot always
                  pin down. Fronek has some good examples, e.g.:

                  Slovnik patri do kazde kancelare.
                  There should be a dictionary in every office.

                  OK, so this was my problem: here is the opening line of an invitation
                  to a traditional Czech Radio event that takes place every year in
                  Podebrady:

                  Pocatek rijna bude v Podebradech opet patrit Ceskemu rozhlasu.

                  Now was I suffering from a translator's hallucination here or does
                  'belong' not really belong here? And if it doesn't belong, then what
                  does? I figured something out but I'd be interested to hear any other
                  thoughts on this one.

                  The worst thing about Europe is that you can't go out in the middle of
                  the night and get a Slurpee.
                  - Tellis Frank

                  Czechlist resources:

                  Czech republic hotel Czech republic Prague czech republic accommodation

                • Milan Condak
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
                    navstevnici, hoste (stranek)
                    take byva kniha hostu

                    tady mas odkaz co mi nasel wordfast

                    http://www.condak.net/found/found_audience.htm

                    Milan

                    Microsoft pouziva "cilova skupina", jinak me napada jeste "publikum"
                    nebo "obecenstvo". Ja osobne jsem v jednom svem prekladu pouzil "okruh
                    uzivatelu" ale tam se jednalo o "audience" v uzsim smyslu (ti lide, kteri
                    dostanou aktualizaci SW).

                    Tom

                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/EaOolB/TM

                    Czechlist resources:

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • ing.Sárka Rubková
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
                      Ahoj,

                      ze stejného soudku... Co je to?

                      sarka
                    • Michael Gmail
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
                        Devoted, dedicated? Or just recast th' whole thing.
                        Michael

                        --
                        "In 1957, Eugene O'Neill won a Pullet Surprise."
                        - anonymous student
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 4, 2005
                          Horrible usage, but nothing compared to the artcrit stuff I'm doing.
                          How about "Early October will be Czech Radio time in Podebrady!!!"
                          Yip, yip.

                          FWIW

                          Gerry

                          > 'Patrit' is another of those 'slippery' words that you cannot always
                          > pin down. Fronek has some good examples, e.g.:
                          >
                          > Slovnik patri do kazde kancelare.
                          > There should be a dictionary in every office.
                          >
                          > OK, so this was my problem: here is the opening line of an invitation
                          > to a traditional Czech Radio event that takes place every year in
                          > Podebrady:
                          >
                          > Pocatek rijna bude v Podebradech opet patrit Ceskemu rozhlasu.
                          >
                          > Now was I suffering from a translator's hallucination here or does
                          > 'belong' not really belong here? And if it doesn't belong, then what
                          > does? I figured something out but I'd be interested to hear any other
                          > thoughts on this one.
                          >
                          > BR
                          >
                          > M.
                          > The worst thing about Europe is that you can't go out in the middle of
                          > the night and get a Slurpee.
                          > - Tellis Frank
                        • Vitezslav Ruzicka
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 4, 2005
                            I know it sounds terrible, but the sense of "patrit" in Czech, in
                            this
                            case and if exaggerated, is something like "on this day, Podebrady
                            are
                            ruled by the radio (company)". I'd leave it up to ENS, how it express
                            it nicely, better, or both :-)
                            BR
                            Vit

                            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Turner" <czechin@n...>
                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 6, 2005
                              Many thanks to Jan, Valerie, Tomas, Michael G., Gerry and Vit for your
                              ideas. The Czechs gave me a nice insight into the kind of situations
                              where this usage might crop up - and it's always interesting to see
                              how others tackle this kind of problem. Gerry actually came closest to
                              the solution that I'd come up with:

                              Early October will again be the time for Czech Radio in Podebrady.

                              So I reckon 'belong' often doesn't work if there is this idea of 'it's
                              the turn of' that Jan referred to.

                              The dictionary should mark this kind of word with a wildcard sign or
                              something.

                              M.
                              The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the
                              opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
                              - Niels Bohr