Re: [Czechlist] CAT & Mentalese (Language & Thought)

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2005
      On Friday, September 30, 2005, at 03:23 AM, Martin Janda wrote:

      > A nice idea. I 've read something like that we even *think* in our
      > mother tongue (except perhpas for long-term expats).

      I don't know if people think in any language at all most of the time.

      The interesting thing for me is dreaming. After I'd been in the CR for
      a couple of years, people in my dreams spoke English and Czech. If the
      conversation took place inside my home, it was in English. Even people
      who in real life could not speak English were speaking English in my
      dreams when they were in my apartment. If the scene took place outside
      my apartment, everyone spoke Czech. So, in one dream I had that I had
      flown to New York City, everyone in New York was speaking Czech,
      including the African-American clerk in a grocery store. (This is a
      perfect opening for someone to tell the "true" folk tale about the
      Czech couple in America being stopped by a Czech-speaking black
      policeman.)

      Anyway, I decided that this pattern meant that Czech was my public
      language and English was my private one.