Re: RE:JTP benefits

  • Melvyn Clarke
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 12, 1999
      >The idea of JTP trying to restrict its membership is not correct. And if
      someone tries to show his maturity (disregarding whether he/she is a JTP
      member or not) it only shows his/her weakness in some respect. The best way
      how to help me in my efforts is to continue with you criticism followed by
      some sort of a proposal, if you wish to do so.

      Hi Otto,

      Thanks for your clarification and your other thoughts. Well, I believe I
      have already summed
      up my criticism of JTP overall presentation and promotion:).

      In my experience, younger translators in this country tend to see the more
      mature (i.e. older
      and/or more experienced) translators as rather cliquish and unavailable and
      because JTP
      seems to have a lot of such mature members and the fee is out of the reach
      of many, they
      equate the two. Perhaps this perception is unjustified. Perhaps it comes of
      experience in
      other areas of life, such as education, where a certain amount of
      cliquishness and self-
      serving within certain well-established circles is also perceived - as I
      have found in my nine
      years' teaching experience here.

      Personally, I am not interested in "you scratch my back I scratch your back"
      schemes
      amongst well-established translators alone. I really don't think they should
      be encouraged.
      What I am much more interested in is means of exchanging information,
      experience and
      facilities which encompass those who are getting into the profession and/or
      who still have a
      long way to go, without making them pay an arm and a leg for it. Myself, I
      favour apprentice
      arrangements between more and less experienced translators but perhaps
      others have other
      views. In any case I think the opportunities that the internet provides
      should be seized with
      both hands and - lest I come over as some dangerous altruist:), please note
      my own
      shameless self-promotion combined with my efforts in this regard on my
      Czech-English
      translation homepage:

      A lot of it is rather do-it-yourself and unacademic in tone and content, but
      one list-member did describe it as a gold-mine. Honest:)

      If I have sounded overcritical, please feel free to be overcritical with my
      work too.

      As for specific proposals for you in person, Otto - no, I don't have any,
      though I would repeat
      my willingness to assist in any way I can at any time.

      Melvyn