Re: Cz>Eng: soliter (art and design)

  • kukkkacka
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 4, 2005
      I agree with you all.. generally "solitaire" is anything (person or
      thing) which doesn´t need any company. It (or he or she) can and
      desires to exist without any other influence...

      -- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@s...> wrote:

      > On Saturday, September 3, 2005, at 06:46 PM, melvyn.geo wrote:
      >
      > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "David Daduc" <wordfast@v...>
      wrote:

      > > 'Free agent', 'free
      > > spirit' or 'freewheeler' come to my befuddled mind as very loose
      > > terms, but I think I'll go consult my pillow about this one...
      >
      > Very loose. I don't think these would be used in art circles. I
      still
      > think "artistic loner" is the best for a Dickinson or Kafka type,
      while
      > an artist who doesn't isolate himself but can't be pegged in terms
      of
      > style, movement or clique would be called an "eccentric". Ladies
      off
      > somewhere in the Appalachian Mountains who sculpt dramatic scenes
      from
      > old chewing gum painted with cheap watercolors, or men in downtown
      > Huntsville who build decorative towers from cement and discarded
      Coke
      > bottles, or the lady in downtown Detroit who used rubbish to
      decorate
      > half a block until it became what locals called "The Church of
      > Junkintology" are called "outsider artists".
      >
      > From my art school days I just don't remember a term that would be
      as
      > all-encompassing as "solitér".
      >
      > > Hanka tells me that 'soliter' can be a work of art (e.g. a
      sculpture)
      > > that stands alone, not as part of a set or a collection. Possibly
      > > "solitaire" too (?):
      >
      > In the anglophone art world, this is called a "stand-alone artwork"
      > (variously punctuated), not to be confused with a freestanding
      artwork.'

    • Gerald Turner
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 4, 2005
        Well done, Melvyn, Hanka and Jamie!! In spite of the inexcusable lack
        of context, you've jointly hit the nail truly on the head.
        "Stand-alone artwork" it will be, or "solitaire sculpture" for variety.

        Many thanks to you and the other members who contributed.

        Gerry