Re: [Czechlist] Re: Cz>Eng: soliter (art and design)

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 3, 2005
      On Saturday, September 3, 2005, at 06:46 PM, melvyn.geo wrote:

      > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "David Daduc" <wordfast@v...> wrote:
      >
      > 'Free agent', 'free
      > spirit' or 'freewheeler' come to my befuddled mind as very loose
      > terms, but I think I'll go consult my pillow about this one...

      Very loose. I don't think these would be used in art circles. I still
      think "artistic loner" is the best for a Dickinson or Kafka type, while
      an artist who doesn't isolate himself but can't be pegged in terms of
      style, movement or clique would be called an "eccentric". Ladies off
      somewhere in the Appalachian Mountains who sculpt dramatic scenes from
      old chewing gum painted with cheap watercolors, or men in downtown
      Huntsville who build decorative towers from cement and discarded Coke
      bottles, or the lady in downtown Detroit who used rubbish to decorate
      half a block until it became what locals called "The Church of
      Junkintology" are called "outsider artists".

      From my art school days I just don't remember a term that would be as
      all-encompassing as "solitér".

      > Hanka tells me that 'soliter' can be a work of art (e.g. a sculpture)
      > that stands alone, not as part of a set or a collection. Possibly
      > "solitaire" too (?):

      In the anglophone art world, this is called a "stand-alone artwork"
      (variously punctuated), not to be confused with a freestanding artwork.'

    • kukkkacka
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 4, 2005
        I agree with you all.. generally "solitaire" is anything (person or
        thing) which doesn´t need any company. It (or he or she) can and
        desires to exist without any other influence...

        -- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@s...> wrote:

        > On Saturday, September 3, 2005, at 06:46 PM, melvyn.geo wrote:
        >
        > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "David Daduc" <wordfast@v...>
        wrote:

        > > 'Free agent', 'free
        > > spirit' or 'freewheeler' come to my befuddled mind as very loose
        > > terms, but I think I'll go consult my pillow about this one...
        >
        > Very loose. I don't think these would be used in art circles. I
        still
        > think "artistic loner" is the best for a Dickinson or Kafka type,
        while
        > an artist who doesn't isolate himself but can't be pegged in terms
        of
        > style, movement or clique would be called an "eccentric". Ladies
        off
        > somewhere in the Appalachian Mountains who sculpt dramatic scenes
        from
        > old chewing gum painted with cheap watercolors, or men in downtown
        > Huntsville who build decorative towers from cement and discarded
        Coke
        > bottles, or the lady in downtown Detroit who used rubbish to
        decorate
        > half a block until it became what locals called "The Church of
        > Junkintology" are called "outsider artists".
        >
        > From my art school days I just don't remember a term that would be
        as
        > all-encompassing as "solitér".
        >
        > > Hanka tells me that 'soliter' can be a work of art (e.g. a
        sculpture)
        > > that stands alone, not as part of a set or a collection. Possibly
        > > "solitaire" too (?):
        >
        > In the anglophone art world, this is called a "stand-alone artwork"
        > (variously punctuated), not to be confused with a freestanding
        artwork.'

      • Gerald Turner
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 4, 2005
          Well done, Melvyn, Hanka and Jamie!! In spite of the inexcusable lack
          of context, you've jointly hit the nail truly on the head.
          "Stand-alone artwork" it will be, or "solitaire sculpture" for variety.

          Many thanks to you and the other members who contributed.

          Gerry