Re: [Czechlist] Cz>Eng: soliter (art and design)

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 3, 2005
      On Saturday, September 3, 2005, at 03:13 PM, Gerald Turner wrote:

      > This seems to be a vogue expression, although I've not encountered it
      > before. Can someone supply me with an equivalent?

      Can you give some context?

      I think soliter is undoubtedly just "solitaire" in English. In art and
      design, from a Czech perspective, it probably means a single gem placed
      in a simple setting, just as it does in English. That is, unless your
      context says something else.

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 3, 2005
        On Saturday, September 3, 2005, at 03:59 PM, David Daduc wrote:

        > > This seems to be a vogue expression, although I've not encountered it
        > > before. Can someone supply me with an equivalent?
        >
        > If you say an artist is a "soliter", I think it usually means he or she
        > does not join art movements, circles, or groups, but prefers searching
        > their own expression and motifs. Among the great writers, I'd say
        > Gerard Manley Hopkins, Franz Kafka, or Emily Dickinson, for example,
        > were extreme "soliteri".

        I think that's sometimes referred to in English as "an artistic loner".

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 3, 2005
          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "David Daduc" <wordfast@v...> wrote:

          > If you say an artist is a "soliter", I think it usually means he or
          >she does not join art movements, circles, or groups, but prefers
          >searching their own expression and motifs. Among the great writers,
          >I'd say Gerard Manley Hopkins, Franz Kafka, or Emily Dickinson, for
          >example, were extreme "soliteri".

          Hanka agrees that this is one of the meanings. 'Free agent', 'free
          spirit' or 'freewheeler' come to my befuddled mind as very loose
          terms, but I think I'll go consult my pillow about this one...

          > I've just consulted a dictionary and it says that in golsmithery,
          > a "soliter" is a precious stone, especially a large diamond, embedded
          > separately in a piece of jewellery.

          'Solitaire' is used for such jewellery pieces, according to my
          dictionaries.

          Hanka tells me that 'soliter' can be a work of art (e.g. a sculpture)
          that stands alone, not as part of a set or a collection. Possibly
          "solitaire" too (?):

          (The Thinker [] has been made public as a solitaire sculpture
          www.boloji.com/workshop/015/15ws11.htm

          M.
          Hmmm...solo act? One-off? Oddball?? :-) Naah!
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 3, 2005
            On Saturday, September 3, 2005, at 06:46 PM, melvyn.geo wrote:

            > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "David Daduc" <wordfast@v...> wrote:
            >
            > 'Free agent', 'free
            > spirit' or 'freewheeler' come to my befuddled mind as very loose
            > terms, but I think I'll go consult my pillow about this one...

            Very loose. I don't think these would be used in art circles. I still
            think "artistic loner" is the best for a Dickinson or Kafka type, while
            an artist who doesn't isolate himself but can't be pegged in terms of
            style, movement or clique would be called an "eccentric". Ladies off
            somewhere in the Appalachian Mountains who sculpt dramatic scenes from
            old chewing gum painted with cheap watercolors, or men in downtown
            Huntsville who build decorative towers from cement and discarded Coke
            bottles, or the lady in downtown Detroit who used rubbish to decorate
            half a block until it became what locals called "The Church of
            Junkintology" are called "outsider artists".

            From my art school days I just don't remember a term that would be as
            all-encompassing as "solitér".

            > Hanka tells me that 'soliter' can be a work of art (e.g. a sculpture)
            > that stands alone, not as part of a set or a collection. Possibly
            > "solitaire" too (?):

            In the anglophone art world, this is called a "stand-alone artwork"
            (variously punctuated), not to be confused with a freestanding artwork.'

          • kukkkacka
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 4, 2005
              I agree with you all.. generally "solitaire" is anything (person or
              thing) which doesn´t need any company. It (or he or she) can and
              desires to exist without any other influence...

              -- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@s...> wrote:

              > On Saturday, September 3, 2005, at 06:46 PM, melvyn.geo wrote:
              >
              > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "David Daduc" <wordfast@v...>
              wrote:

              > > 'Free agent', 'free
              > > spirit' or 'freewheeler' come to my befuddled mind as very loose
              > > terms, but I think I'll go consult my pillow about this one...
              >
              > Very loose. I don't think these would be used in art circles. I
              still
              > think "artistic loner" is the best for a Dickinson or Kafka type,
              while
              > an artist who doesn't isolate himself but can't be pegged in terms
              of
              > style, movement or clique would be called an "eccentric". Ladies
              off
              > somewhere in the Appalachian Mountains who sculpt dramatic scenes
              from
              > old chewing gum painted with cheap watercolors, or men in downtown
              > Huntsville who build decorative towers from cement and discarded
              Coke
              > bottles, or the lady in downtown Detroit who used rubbish to
              decorate
              > half a block until it became what locals called "The Church of
              > Junkintology" are called "outsider artists".
              >
              > From my art school days I just don't remember a term that would be
              as
              > all-encompassing as "solitér".
              >
              > > Hanka tells me that 'soliter' can be a work of art (e.g. a
              sculpture)
              > > that stands alone, not as part of a set or a collection. Possibly
              > > "solitaire" too (?):
              >
              > In the anglophone art world, this is called a "stand-alone artwork"
              > (variously punctuated), not to be confused with a freestanding
              artwork.'

            • Gerald Turner
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 4, 2005
                Well done, Melvyn, Hanka and Jamie!! In spite of the inexcusable lack
                of context, you've jointly hit the nail truly on the head.
                "Stand-alone artwork" it will be, or "solitaire sculpture" for variety.

                Many thanks to you and the other members who contributed.

                Gerry