Re: TERM: -ologie (was zahadologie etc)

    Message 1 of 39 , Aug 31, 2005
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jan Vanek jr." <jan.vanek.jr@s...>
      wrote:

      > And re zahadologie - I think that its proponents use it quite
      > seriously; after all the Greek suffix is the point. (Scientology,
      > anyone?)

      And then there is translatologie (most frequently 'translation
      studies', despite all the hits for 'translatology').

      And 'bunkrologie'...

      M.
    • Hana Pernicova
      Message 39 of 39 , Sep 1, 2005
        I would say that such combinations of an obviously colloquial word basis and the academic-flavoured suffix -ology always bear the aspect of either humour or irony, depending on the context.

        H.

        wrote:

        > And re zahadologie - I think that its proponents use it quite
        > seriously; after all the Greek suffix is the point. (Scientology,
        > anyone?)

        And then there is translatologie (most frequently 'translation
        studies', despite all the hits for 'translatology').

        And 'bunkrologie'...

        M.

        Czechlist resources:

        Hotel prague czech republic Travel to czech republic Czech republic accommodation Czech republic hotel Czech republic Prague czech republic accommodation