Re: A Short Dictionary of Czech Culture (far from being short, pozn. prekl.)

  • Jan Vanek jr.
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 30, 2005

      > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Petr Veselý <veselypetr@p...>
      wrote:
      > > Terrific...
      > >
      > > http://pubweb.northwestern.edu/~aro918/dictionary.htm
      >

      > It is a jolly good read and the author is clearly a very talented
      > chap.

      I think (in fact, am sure) I've seen it before - could it have been
      linked from Czechlist, or Bohemica? Yes, a jolly good read (or just
      browsing in my case) with many nice touches, but on the other hand -
      as is inevitable on seeing any culture described from the outside, I
      admit - there is a lot of annoying small infidelities, mistakes and
      shifted interpretations. (Frex it certainly should be houbareni and
      not houbarstvi - cf googlefight.)

      And when I looked at his homepage... it is nice to see Cimrman
      translated, BUT I found his versions of Pro vdovicku cycle decidedly
      less than congenial (even limping rhythmically); I had gravest
      problems swallowing that the central point of Master's thesis on
      historical dates (see frex http://www.vol.cz/CIMRMAN/cimrman10.htm )
      is "that all of these dates are unforgettable"; and rendering Nemy
      Bobes as "Deaf Bobes" is plainly TOO MUCH. (I only quickly browsed
      through "Murder in the Pullman car", without collation, but, well,
      while there is certainy much that is intranslatable, there are even
      more instances where he never even - didn't realize he should have? -
      tried. Like "Erech piklosh nemeci, hunar scepen palosh [sic ...]
      which translated into Czech apparently means: Write, my dove, write,
      because soon you'll croak.")

      But I quite liked his essay on cult Western (production) / Eastern
      (reception) European pop cinema.

      --
      Jan Vanek jr.