TERMS: Zahadologie, trampsky

    Message 1 of 39 , Aug 26, 2005
      The following is from a description of a Rodokaps 'penny dreadful' series:

      Publicisticke rubriky prinasely zpravy a zajimavosti z trampskeho
      prostredi, clanky z dejin osidlovani Severni Ameriky, „zahadologicke"
      prispevky, ale i napríklad zpevník trampskych pisni.

      I'm just curious to know what kind of things Czech readers would
      expect to see under the 'zahadologie' category. Any ideas about how to
      translate it?

      I'd also be very interested to hear how you would deal with 'trampsky'...

      M.
      Conceal a flaw, and the world will imagine the worst.
      - Marcus Valerius Martialis
    • Hana Pernicova
      Message 39 of 39 , Sep 1, 2005
        I would say that such combinations of an obviously colloquial word basis and the academic-flavoured suffix -ology always bear the aspect of either humour or irony, depending on the context.

        H.

        "melvyn.geo" <zehrovak@...> wrote:
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jan Vanek jr." <jan.vanek.jr@s...>
        wrote:

        > And re zahadologie - I think that its proponents use it quite
        > seriously; after all the Greek suffix is the point. (Scientology,
        > anyone?)

        And then there is translatologie (most frequently 'translation
        studies', despite all the hits for 'translatology').

        And 'bunkrologie'...

        M.

        Czechlist resources:

        Hotel prague czech republic Travel to czech republic Czech republic accommodation Czech republic hotel Czech republic Prague czech republic accommodation