FW: [Czechlist] re: Intro

  • ing.Sárka Rubková
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 23, 2005
      Hi Mimi,
      > The English title of the book, written by Jiri Kotalik and David Vavra
      > with photos by Pavel Fric, is _Czech Republic: Images of
      > Architecture_. The Czech original, _Obrazy z dejin ceske architektury_
      > (publisher Titanic) is available in bookshops, but the English version
      > was done for the Czech Ministry of Foreign Affairs and isn't for sale
      > to the public at this time. The publisher hopes at some point in the
      > future to be able to do a reprint of the English version. Until then,
      > I'm still hoping to get one or two of the ink-smeared or otherwise
      > damaged copies to send to my inlaws!

      I know the Czech book so I am very sorry that it not published publicly in
      English! However, you should have received the "author's" (this time the
      translator's) copies of the English version of the book!

      > Let me clarify: I didn't think you were my client. I've done
      > translations for an artist named Sarka Radova, and being very rushed
      > and distracted yesterday I mistakenly thought it was her to whom I was
      > replying. She would be likely to send me just such a question.

      I see. I know and appreciate works of Sarka Radová.

      > Am I missing something? I looked on your member info just now and
      > didn't see a mention there of having studied vaulting "for some time."
      > When working with Mr. Kotalik on this book we had real difficulty
      > translating some of the terms for particular vaulting styles, and we
      > would have been very grateful for your assistance!

      Which Mr.Kotalik? The senior or junior? I guess that it was the junior. I
      know him quite well. We used to meet quite often but he probably knows me
      under my maiden name and is not aware that translating is my profession now.
      You know, I originally studied and graduated in architecture.

      sarka