Re: [Czechlist] Re: CHAT: Spot the nationality, was Jak se ji v USA?

    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2005
      On Monday, August 1, 2005, at 06:31 AM, kzgafas wrote:

      > This also a nice example. I would say it is just an extreme case of
      > a very general concept sometimes referred to as "cultural
      > ambassadorship".

      A big shot in Michigan's TESOL organization told me that part of the
      role of ESL teachers should be working as advocates for immigrants. I
      told him that this leads to the immigrants being treated as mascots
      more than as people, and that they are then used as poster children for
      the teachers' pet political causes, which often don't benefit the
      immigrants themselves and may harm them. The immigrants are their own
      best advocates, and it doesn't even take very long before they have
      their own lawyers in their midst. I can't see what an ESL teacher can
      effectively do to be their advocate.