Re: [Czechlist] konfekcni zpracovani

  • Hořejší Eva Ing.
    Message 1 of 29 , Jul 29, 2005
      Dekuji za odpoved i za rady. Vyrazy, ktere jsem jmenovala, mam z Cesko-
      anglickeho technickeho textilniho slovniku, vydaneho Vyzkumnym ustavem
      pletarskym v Brne r. 1971. S timto slovnikem pracuji nejen ja, ale i rada
      dalsich lidi v oboru, nic lepsiho nemame. Pro Vas klid, prekladam vetsinou
      jen obchodni veci.

      Zdravi
      Eva Horejsi

      • Zemedelec@aol.com
        Message 3 of 29 , Jul 31, 2005
          In a message dated 07/29/2005 07:35:38, jpklists@... writes:

          > In North America, when a group has completely forgotten the language,
          > history and culture of their nation, what they have left, and
          > celebrate, is "heritage".  The people were celebrating "heritage".
          >
          > Jamie

          Whoops, Jamie, you should see the festival at Libuse/Kolin near Baton
          Rouge, LA. Excellent local dance troupe, band flown from Texas, people eati ng
          liked t here's no ømorrow (the  non-CCzech elelment is mainly t h at the
          area is "dry". so no beer wa sold, though perhaps a few snorts ts of moonshine
          were adding to the fun.) There's a Czech museum open year ®ound, ditto
          magazine, nice folk arts and junk, all from twp little hamalets of maybe 400
          souls total.

          Have you seen Czechs in LA--web page--really a labor of love {differebt
          geroup).

          But as they say, the deep South is conservative).

          Message 4 of 29 , Aug 3, 2005
            On Friday, July 29, 2005, at 09:49 AM, Hořejší Eva Ing. wrote:

            > Dekuji za odpoved i za rady. Vyrazy, ktere jsem jmenovala, mam z
            > Cesko-
            > anglickeho technickeho textilniho slovniku, vydaneho Vyzkumnym ustavem
            > pletarskym v Brne r. 1971. S timto slovnikem pracuji nejen ja, ale i
            > rada
            > dalsich lidi v oboru, nic lepsiho nemame. Pro Vas klid, prekladam
            > vetsinou
            > jen obchodni veci.

            The dictionary is nonetheless wrong, and it can't replace
            native-speaker judgments. I had this problem with various Cz->Eng
            glass dictionaries and glossaries. So much of what they contained was
            wrong that I had to be suspicious of everything, check everything with
            other dictionaries, google everything, and sometimes even drive over to
            the art school and ask the glassmaking professors.

            The Czech Republic is afflicted with a lot more junky dictionaries than
            Germany, France and Spain, for example, so there's no substitute for
            native speaker judgment, and once you're outside the realm of Poldauf
            and Fronek, you have to doubt everything. The sad thing is that the
            Czech-English professional dictionaries are usually the worst, which is
            quite the opposite of the situation when you're dealing with, say,
            German.

            Jamie
          • Hořejší Eva Ing.
            Message 5 of 29 , Aug 3, 2005
              Jeste jednou dekuji, nezbyva tedy asi nic jineho, nez ve spornych pripadech
              vyuzivat Vasi ochoty.

              Zdravi
              Eva Horejsi

              > On Friday, July 29, 2005, at 09:49 AM, Hořejší Eva Ing. wrote:
              >
              > > Dekuji za odpoved i za rady. Vyrazy, ktere jsem jmenovala, mam z
              > > Cesko-
              > > anglickeho technickeho textilniho slovniku, vydaneho Vyzkumnym ustavem
              > > pletarskym v Brne r. 1971. S timto slovnikem pracuji nejen ja, ale i
              > > rada
              > > dalsich lidi v oboru, nic lepsiho nemame. Pro Vas klid, prekladam
              > > vetsinou
              > > jen obchodni veci.
              >
              > The dictionary is nonetheless wrong, and it can't replace
              > native-speaker judgments. I had this problem with various Cz->Eng
              > glass dictionaries and glossaries. So much of what they contained was
              > wrong that I had to be suspicious of everything, check everything with
              > other dictionaries, google everything, and sometimes even drive over to
              > the art school and ask the glassmaking professors.
              >
              > The Czech Republic is afflicted with a lot more junky dictionaries than
              > Germany, France and Spain, for example, so there's no substitute for
              > native speaker judgment, and once you're outside the realm of Poldauf
              > and Fronek, you have to doubt everything. The sad thing is that the
              > Czech-English professional dictionaries are usually the worst, which is
              > quite the opposite of the situation when you're dealing with, say,
              > German.
              >
              > Jamie
              >

              > Czechlist resources:

              > ________ Information from NOD32 ________
              > This message was checked by NOD32 Antivirus System for Linux Mail Server.
              > part000.txt - is OK
              > http://www.nod32.com
            • Jan Vanek jr.
              Message 6 of 29 , Aug 12, 2005
                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@s...>
                wrote:

                > They sound like that funny narrator in Jan Novak's "Striptease
                > Chicago" who speaks Czech but has very weird, distorted ideas
                > of Czech history, like when he talks about Bat'a wanting to move
                > Czechslovakia to Argentina.

                Coming _s krizkem po funuse_ as ever, and I recall the wonderful
                story only vaguely, but it seems to me that you might be mis-
                interpreting it: I mean, Bata's wanting to move rather Protektorat
                Boehmen und Maehren than whole Czechoslovakia to South America is not
                an invention of Novak / "jeden pan" (now that I think of it, isn't
                the narrator in the story - ISTR its title as "Co mi rikal jeden
                pan", though if Jan "Chew-leak" is to be trusted [which I'm not quite
                sure he is], it is "co mi rekl", see
                http://www.britskelisty.cz/9709/19970904c.html with an excerpt - a
                small boy who only reproduces and distorts said gentleman's
                ranting?), but something of a well-established urban myth: googling
                Bata and, specifically, Patagonie gives you articles like
                http://www.zlinweb.cz/index.php?clanky_id=318&hid=65 (and many more
                copies of more or less the same [non]information, or one by Ulc the
                Senile about _krajani_ in South America). I suppose more details
                could be found in one of those hagiographic books on the House Bata;
                ISTR an argument that he actually said "We Czechs are so resourceful
                that we would thrive even deported en masse to Patagonia" etc.

                BTW, in Frantisek Novotny's recent SF / alternate history novel
                _Dalsi den Valhaly_ Patagonia settled by Czechs after Nazi victory in
                WWII is one of the main plot points: they, of course, have an active
                underground movement cooperating with the US in exile in Little
                America (although to make the colonisation really feasible, the
                author had to switch the Earth's axis in the Verweltungsnacht); most
                of important historical figures have cameo, or larger, roles.

                There are also hints (sadly unexplored because of the space
                contraints) of "Batanas" having their own equivalent to the "padesata
                leta". I think there really was something that would lend to
                totalitarism or at least corporativism in Bata-istic (-esque?)
                ideology: see the immortal (as in the sense of "a rather expensive
                collectible these days, and worth of scanning and puttig online for
                somebody") and, today, delightfully cranky "BUDUJME STAT PRO
                40,000.000 LIDI" by Bata the Eldest, http://bsp40m.czechian.net
                I have always been especially taken by him arriving to the quoted
                figure as product of the area of Czechoslovakia (including Ruthenia)
                and population density of Belgium (rounded up, "nebot puda
                Ceskoslovenska je bohatsi belgicke" :-)))
                --
                Jan Vanek jr.