Re: [Czechlist] TERM "cizáctví"

  • Petr Veselý
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 4, 2005
      Nemohu "cizactvi" najit ve slovniku.

      Domaci kulturni tradice byla na pude tohoto spolku stavena do protikladu k
      vybojum evropske avantgardy, charakterizovane jako *cizactvi*.

      cizactvi = co prichazi z ciziny a nevychazi z domacich tradic = snad
      foreignness / extraneousness / extraneous element... NSs, where are you?

      Petr
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 5, 2005
        On Tuesday, July 5, 2005, at 02:17 AM, Petr Veselý wrote:

        > cizactvi = co prichazi z ciziny a nevychazi z domacich tradic = snad
        > foreignness / extraneousness / extraneous element... NSs, where are
        > you?

        Maybe it's something like "foreignness", as you say, or "foreign
        influence", "foreign element", "outside influences". I wouldn't use
        the word "extraneous" here, because that sounds more like it means
        "irrelevant", so it wouldn't work.

        Am I correct in interpreting the -áctví as giving the word a derogatory
        or xenophobic tone?

        Jamie
      • kzgafas
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 5, 2005

          > On Tuesday, July 5, 2005, at 02:17 AM, Petr Veselý wrote:
          >
          > Am I correct in interpreting the -áctví as giving the word a
          derogatory
          > or xenophobic tone?
          >
          > Jamie

          Yes, it does. But to say it more exactly, it is the -ák in the word
          cizák which makes it sound derogatory. Cizáctví is derived from that.

          K.