Re: [Czechlist] "ceska krasna kniha"?? ?? - Spolek Hollar

  • Petr Veselý
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 4, 2005

      > Vydaval samostatne graficke premie, venoval se s mimoradnou pozornosti i
      > *ceske krasne knize*, na jejiz urovni se podilela prave zakladatelska
      > generace.
      >
      > Helga

      Mne to pripada, ze krasna kniha = krasna literatura = beletrie na urovni,
      proste ceska klasika, asi delali (kvalitni) ilustrace ke kvalitnim kniham.

      Petr
    • spektrum2002
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 5, 2005
        (Nez se ozvou NSs):
        Jelikoz v anglickem slovniku se "belles-lettres" vyklada jako "fine
        literature", pouzil bych neco jako "Czech Fine Books".
        Cizactvi bych opsal ve smyslu "something alien to the Czech national
        spirit".
        Petr Adamek

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 5, 2005
          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "spektrum2002" <padamek@c...> wrote:
          > (Nez se ozvou NSs):
          > Jelikoz v anglickem slovniku se "belles-lettres" vyklada jako "fine
          > literature", pouzil bych neco jako "Czech Fine Books".

          OK. Uz jsem v minulosti pouzil "fine books" jako preklad tohoto vyrazu
          na zaklade odbornych zdroju jako www.FineBooksMagazine.com. Jenomze
          bych spis doporucil slovosled: "Fine Czech Books" (srovnejte napr
          "fine French books" a "French fine books" apod na gugliku).

          > Cizactvi bych opsal ve smyslu "something alien to the Czech national
          > spirit".

          Hezky. Souhlasim. Neco jako 'unCzechness'. ;-)

          M.
          The crux... is that the vast majority of the mass of the universe
          seems to be missing.
          - William J. Broad
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 5, 2005
            On Tuesday, July 5, 2005, at 03:10 AM, spektrum2002 wrote:

            > (Nez se ozvou NSs):
            > Jelikoz v anglickem slovniku se "belles-lettres" vyklada jako "fine
            > literature",

            I can't imagine that collocation "fine literature" actually being used;
            it sounds foreign, like Czenglish or something. "Belles-lettres" would
            be one correct term. I think that for contemporary works, the
            publishing industry here uses the term "art fiction" in contrast to the
            term "popular fiction".

            > pouzil bych neco jako "Czech Fine Books".

            I don't think that sounds English. You could say something like "Czech
            belles-lettres", if you wanted to sound a little too high-class. The
            thing is that in American bookstores (I don't remember about the
            British ones) the section that in the CR is called "krasna literatura"
            is simply called "literature". So in the anglophone mind, the term
            "Czech literature" means "ceska krasna literatura". If you want to
            make sure it's krasná and not just reading material (which the word
            literature can also mean in English), you could refer to a "ceska
            krasna kniha" as "a work of Czech literature" or "a Czech literary
            work".

            > Cizactvi bych opsal ve smyslu "something alien to the Czech national
            > spirit".

            So it is a sort of xenophobic term. How about "alien influences"?

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 5, 2005

              > you could refer to a "ceska krasna kniha" as "a work of Czech
              literature" or "a Czech literary
              > work".

              Thing is, the term 'krasna kniha' is basically used to refer to books
              as high-quality artefacts - their actual contents are secondary here
              (although clearly, you rarely find literarni brak in a krasna kniha!).
              My Hana works as editor of a magazine for librarians. She is
              familiar with Spolek Hollar and 'fine books' and she gives her stamp
              of approval to my every word here. ;-)

              Melvyn
              - Punk chick: ...hate it when my dirt washes off. It keeps me warm.
              Overheard in New York
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 5, 2005
                On Tuesday, July 5, 2005, at 06:42 AM, melvyn.geo wrote:

                > Thing is,  the term 'krasna kniha' is basically used to refer to books
                > as high-quality artefacts - their actual contents are secondary here
                > (although clearly, you rarely find literarni brak in a krasna kniha!).
                >   My Hana works as editor of a magazine for librarians. She is
                > familiar with Spolek Hollar and 'fine books' and she gives her stamp
                > of approval to my every word here. ;-)

                In my family we call it our squeal of approval.

                Anyway, I didn't understand the earlier posts correctly (probably read
                them too cursorily), so I got on the wrong track. In that case, I'd
                agree with your term "fine Czech books".