Re: [Czechlist] Paradigm

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 4 1:46 PM
      On Monday, July 4, 2005, at 04:02 PM, Hana Viansová wrote:

      > And BTW, how would you pronounce "you guys's" - [gaisis]? I'm
      > surprised by
      > the added "s" - you'd probably say you visited your parents' house,
      > right?
      > (not your parents's?:-)

      That's true, but you have to remember that people have transformed "you
      guys" into a pronoun, and as such it can then be made possessive. So,
      "your-guys's" would be pronounced [jrgajz@z], where @ represents a
      schwa, but sometimes it's pronounced [jrgajz]. The double possessive
      is optional. You can say "you-guys's", "your-guys" or "your-guys's".
      However, the expression must contain at least one possessive form, so
      using "you-guys" as a possessive pronoun is not generally allowed.