Re: TERM: stockinette

  • notime_likepresent
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 4 12:02 PM
      > Otherwise: googling for hadicové obinadlo yields more results,
      > including hadicove obvazy. Seems to be quite established term. Based
      > on that, I would use hadicove obinadlo

      I think I will, it seems the best option for my context.
      Thanks,
      Radka
    • Hana Viansová
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 4 12:57 PM
        Jamie, are you serious here about addressing a judge You Guys? What about
        contempt of court? I've always felt that "you guys" was pretty informal -
        was I wrong?
        Hanka

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 4 1:02 PM
          And BTW, how would you pronounce "you guys's" - [gaisis]? I'm surprised by
          the added "s" - you'd probably say you visited your parents' house, right?
          (not your parents's?:-)
          Hanka

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 4 1:39 PM
            On Monday, July 4, 2005, at 03:57 PM, Hana Viansová wrote:

            > Jamie, are you serious here about addressing a judge You Guys? What
            > about
            > contempt of court? I've always felt that "you guys" was pretty
            > informal -
            > was I wrong?

            You were right. I'm serious that a woman was doing this one day when I
            was interpreting in court. I am not serious that it is an acceptable
            way to address a judge. This woman was obviously not well-raised and
            did not know how to address authority figures. I just found it
            hilarious that she chose the low colloquial plural you ("you guys") to
            address the judge. It struck me that her subconscious was trying to
            say "vy" in a language that doesn't have vykani and tykani.

            The traditional way to address a judge in the US is "Your Honor".
            However, lawyers now tend to address the judge as "Judge", and many
            judges seem to prefer it. The traditional way to address an archbishop
            used to be "Your Excellency", but it now appears to be more common here
            (and acceptable to archbishops) to address them as "Archbishop".

            Contempt of court is reserved for true contempt. A woman who is trying
            to be respectful but is so uncultured that she doesn't know any better
            than to address the judge as "You Guys" is not showing contempt, just
            lack of education, and I doubt any judge would think to penalize her.
            Similarly, I saw a man try to wiggle out of jury duty using a wild,
            ridiculous explanation that from any other person might have
            constituted contempt of court, but the judge merely excused him from
            the courtroom, apparently on the grounds that he was stupid.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 4 1:46 PM
              On Monday, July 4, 2005, at 04:02 PM, Hana Viansová wrote:

              > And BTW, how would you pronounce "you guys's" - [gaisis]? I'm
              > surprised by
              > the added "s" - you'd probably say you visited your parents' house,
              > right?
              > (not your parents's?:-)

              That's true, but you have to remember that people have transformed "you
              guys" into a pronoun, and as such it can then be made possessive. So,
              "your-guys's" would be pronounced [jrgajz@z], where @ represents a
              schwa, but sometimes it's pronounced [jrgajz]. The double possessive
              is optional. You can say "you-guys's", "your-guys" or "your-guys's".
              However, the expression must contain at least one possessive form, so
              using "you-guys" as a possessive pronoun is not generally allowed.