Paradigm

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 3 10:37 PM
      Tonight I was watching the movie "Napoleon Dynamite", which has become
      a raging cult favorite among kids about 13 or 14 years old (although
      adults think it's hilarious too), and I thought it might be useful for
      the native Czech speakers to learn the current pronoun paradigms in
      Northern US English. Here they are:

      Subject Possessive
      CZ Eng CZ Eng

      ja I muj my
      ty you tvuj your
      on he jeho his
      ona she jeji her
      ono it jeho its
      my we nas our
      vy you guys vas your-guys's
      oni they jejich their

      So now, as you see, like the southern paradigm, the northern paradigm
      is complete, with both a singular and plural you. "I need to use
      your-guys's phone."

      By the way, based on my observations in court, it is now considered
      proper in some sectors of society to address judges by using the plural
      you, that is "You Guys", rather than the old-fashioned "Your Honor".

      Jamie
    • kzgafas
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 4 6:11 AM
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "notime_likepresent"
        <radka_crossley@l...> wrote:
        > Hi, I have not been able to find any translation for the term
        > stockinette. I think that they mean this tubular banbage that comes
        in
        > a long roll, you pull onto a wounded body part (even head, I
        believe),
        > cut it off the roll to fit and then cover it in plaster or something
        > else (maybe not in case of the head). I found hadicove obinadlo on
        one
        > webpage but nowhere else so I am reluctant to use it. Any ideas?
        >
        > Many thanks,
        > Radka

        From e-slovnik on volny.cz:

        stockinette fabric - jednolícní zátažná hladká pletenina

        Otherwise: googling for hadicové obinadlo yields more results,
        including hadicove obvazy. Seems to be quite established term. Based
        on that, I would use hadicove obinadlo

        K.
      • notime_likepresent
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 4 12:02 PM
          > Otherwise: googling for hadicové obinadlo yields more results,
          > including hadicove obvazy. Seems to be quite established term. Based
          > on that, I would use hadicove obinadlo

          I think I will, it seems the best option for my context.
          Thanks,
          Radka
        • Hana Viansová
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 4 12:57 PM
            Jamie, are you serious here about addressing a judge You Guys? What about
            contempt of court? I've always felt that "you guys" was pretty informal -
            was I wrong?
            Hanka

            > Tonight I was watching the movie "Napoleon Dynamite", which has become
            > a raging cult favorite among kids about 13 or 14 years old (although
            > adults think it's hilarious too), and I thought it might be useful for
            > the native Czech speakers to learn the current pronoun paradigms in
            > Northern US English. Here they are:
            >
            > Subject Possessive
            > CZ Eng CZ Eng
            >
            > ja I muj my
            > ty you tvuj your
            > on he jeho his
            > ona she jeji her
            > ono it jeho its
            > my we nas our
            > vy you guys vas your-guys's
            > oni they jejich their
            >
            > So now, as you see, like the southern paradigm, the northern paradigm
            > is complete, with both a singular and plural you. "I need to use
            > your-guys's phone."
            >
            > By the way, based on my observations in court, it is now considered
            > proper in some sectors of society to address judges by using the plural
            > you, that is "You Guys", rather than the old-fashioned "Your Honor".
            >
            > Jamie
            >

            > Czechlist resources:

          • Hana Viansová
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 4 1:02 PM
              And BTW, how would you pronounce "you guys's" - [gaisis]? I'm surprised by
              the added "s" - you'd probably say you visited your parents' house, right?
              (not your parents's?:-)
              Hanka

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 4 1:39 PM
                On Monday, July 4, 2005, at 03:57 PM, Hana Viansová wrote:

                > Jamie, are you serious here about addressing a judge You Guys? What
                > about
                > contempt of court? I've always felt that "you guys" was pretty
                > informal -
                > was I wrong?

                You were right. I'm serious that a woman was doing this one day when I
                was interpreting in court. I am not serious that it is an acceptable
                way to address a judge. This woman was obviously not well-raised and
                did not know how to address authority figures. I just found it
                hilarious that she chose the low colloquial plural you ("you guys") to
                address the judge. It struck me that her subconscious was trying to
                say "vy" in a language that doesn't have vykani and tykani.

                The traditional way to address a judge in the US is "Your Honor".
                However, lawyers now tend to address the judge as "Judge", and many
                judges seem to prefer it. The traditional way to address an archbishop
                used to be "Your Excellency", but it now appears to be more common here
                (and acceptable to archbishops) to address them as "Archbishop".

                Contempt of court is reserved for true contempt. A woman who is trying
                to be respectful but is so uncultured that she doesn't know any better
                than to address the judge as "You Guys" is not showing contempt, just
                lack of education, and I doubt any judge would think to penalize her.
                Similarly, I saw a man try to wiggle out of jury duty using a wild,
                ridiculous explanation that from any other person might have
                constituted contempt of court, but the judge merely excused him from
                the courtroom, apparently on the grounds that he was stupid.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 4 1:46 PM
                  On Monday, July 4, 2005, at 04:02 PM, Hana Viansová wrote:

                  > And BTW, how would you pronounce "you guys's" - [gaisis]? I'm
                  > surprised by
                  > the added "s" - you'd probably say you visited your parents' house,
                  > right?
                  > (not your parents's?:-)

                  That's true, but you have to remember that people have transformed "you
                  guys" into a pronoun, and as such it can then be made possessive. So,
                  "your-guys's" would be pronounced [jrgajz@z], where @ represents a
                  schwa, but sometimes it's pronounced [jrgajz]. The double possessive
                  is optional. You can say "you-guys's", "your-guys" or "your-guys's".
                  However, the expression must contain at least one possessive form, so
                  using "you-guys" as a possessive pronoun is not generally allowed.