Re: HELP: confused with until

  • kzgafas
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
      Thanks to all for helping me with this one. I usually need to slow
      down to figure out the meaning of a sentence with "until"
      or "unless", but I was not able to say exactly in this case.

      K.

      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Robert J. McGehee
      <siebergeko@s...> wrote:
      > Hello, I'm brand new to this group, but I feel that I have to jump
      in to this discussion. I happen to be a native speaker of English
      from the US and I have taught ESL for many years, so here is my take
      on the expression

      > > Continue holding the switch until the light #3 is lit.
      >
      > What this means is that at first light #3 is not on. In order to
      turn it on you have to press a switch and hold it. Light #3 will
      not come on as soon as you press the switch, so you must hold the
      switch for some time. When light #3 turns on and is shining you may
      stop holding the switch. As a native speaker, I do not see any
      other way that that sentence could be interpreted.