Re: [Czechlist] Re: HELP: confused with until

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
      On Saturday, July 2, 2005, at 01:59 PM, Robert J. McGehee wrote:

      > Hello, I'm brand new to this group, but I feel that I have to jump in
      > to this discussion.� I happen to be a native speaker of English from
      > the US and I have taught ESL for many years, so here is my take on the
      > expression

      I am also a native speaker of English from the US and have also taught
      ESL for many years, have a master's in linguistics and have passed the
      Czech state general proficiency exam in the Czech language, and I just
      have to jump in here too.

      > > Continue holding the switch until the light #3 is lit.
      >
      > What this means is that at first light #3 is not on.� In order to turn
      > it on you have to press a switch and hold it.� Light #3 will not come
      > on as soon as you press the switch, so you must hold the switch for
      > some time.� When light #3 turns on and is shining you may stop holding
      > the switch.� As a native speaker, I do not see any other way that that
      > sentence could be interpreted.

      This is the meaning the original poster was asking about a few days ago
      when he followed up with the following question:

      >> Znamena to:
      >> Dr�te sp�na� stisknut�, dokud se kontrolka nerozsv�t�.

      And the meaning Michael was confirming when he responded:

      >> Presne tak.

      > I hope this resolves the problem; if not, then we may need to see more
      > of the context:-)

      I hope this clarifies the thread for you.

    • kzgafas
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
        Thanks to all for helping me with this one. I usually need to slow
        down to figure out the meaning of a sentence with "until"
        or "unless", but I was not able to say exactly in this case.

        K.

        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Robert J. McGehee