Re: HELP: confused with until

  • Robert J. McGehee
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
      Hello, I'm brand new to this group, but I feel that I have to jump in to this discussion. I happen to be a native speaker of English from the US and I have taught ESL for many years, so here is my take on the expression

      > Continue holding the switch until the light #3 is lit.

      What this means is that at first light #3 is not on. In order to turn it on you have to press a switch and hold it. Light #3 will not come on as soon as you press the switch, so you must hold the switch for some time. When light #3 turns on and is shining you may stop holding the switch. As a native speaker, I do not see any other way that that sentence could be interpreted.

      I hope this resolves the problem; if not, then we may need to see more of the context:-)

      Sincerely,

      Robert

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
        On Saturday, July 2, 2005, at 01:59 PM, Robert J. McGehee wrote:

        > Hello, I'm brand new to this group, but I feel that I have to jump in
        > to this discussion.� I happen to be a native speaker of English from
        > the US and I have taught ESL for many years, so here is my take on the
        > expression

        I am also a native speaker of English from the US and have also taught
        ESL for many years, have a master's in linguistics and have passed the
        Czech state general proficiency exam in the Czech language, and I just
        have to jump in here too.

        > > Continue holding the switch until the light #3 is lit.
        >
        > What this means is that at first light #3 is not on.� In order to turn
        > it on you have to press a switch and hold it.� Light #3 will not come
        > on as soon as you press the switch, so you must hold the switch for
        > some time.� When light #3 turns on and is shining you may stop holding
        > the switch.� As a native speaker, I do not see any other way that that
        > sentence could be interpreted.

        This is the meaning the original poster was asking about a few days ago
        when he followed up with the following question:

        >> Znamena to:
        >> Dr�te sp�na� stisknut�, dokud se kontrolka nerozsv�t�.

        And the meaning Michael was confirming when he responded:

        >> Presne tak.

        > I hope this resolves the problem; if not, then we may need to see more
        > of the context:-)

        I hope this clarifies the thread for you.

      • kzgafas
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
          Thanks to all for helping me with this one. I usually need to slow
          down to figure out the meaning of a sentence with "until"
          or "unless", but I was not able to say exactly in this case.

          K.

          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Robert J. McGehee