Re: [Czechlist] Re: HELP: confused with until

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2005
      On Friday, July 1, 2005, at 12:41 PM, kzgafas wrote:

      > So you are confirming the same what Michael has suggested, right?

      Yes. Confirming and expanding.

    • Robert J. McGehee
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
        Hello, I'm brand new to this group, but I feel that I have to jump in to this discussion. I happen to be a native speaker of English from the US and I have taught ESL for many years, so here is my take on the expression

        > Continue holding the switch until the light #3 is lit.

        What this means is that at first light #3 is not on. In order to turn it on you have to press a switch and hold it. Light #3 will not come on as soon as you press the switch, so you must hold the switch for some time. When light #3 turns on and is shining you may stop holding the switch. As a native speaker, I do not see any other way that that sentence could be interpreted.

        I hope this resolves the problem; if not, then we may need to see more of the context:-)

        Sincerely,

        Robert

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
          On Saturday, July 2, 2005, at 01:59 PM, Robert J. McGehee wrote:

          > Hello, I'm brand new to this group, but I feel that I have to jump in
          > to this discussion.� I happen to be a native speaker of English from
          > the US and I have taught ESL for many years, so here is my take on the
          > expression

          I am also a native speaker of English from the US and have also taught
          ESL for many years, have a master's in linguistics and have passed the
          Czech state general proficiency exam in the Czech language, and I just
          have to jump in here too.

          > > Continue holding the switch until the light #3 is lit.
          >
          > What this means is that at first light #3 is not on.� In order to turn
          > it on you have to press a switch and hold it.� Light #3 will not come
          > on as soon as you press the switch, so you must hold the switch for
          > some time.� When light #3 turns on and is shining you may stop holding
          > the switch.� As a native speaker, I do not see any other way that that
          > sentence could be interpreted.

          This is the meaning the original poster was asking about a few days ago
          when he followed up with the following question:

          >> Znamena to:
          >> Dr�te sp�na� stisknut�, dokud se kontrolka nerozsv�t�.

          And the meaning Michael was confirming when he responded:

          >> Presne tak.

          > I hope this resolves the problem; if not, then we may need to see more
          > of the context:-)

          I hope this clarifies the thread for you.

        • kzgafas
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
            Thanks to all for helping me with this one. I usually need to slow
            down to figure out the meaning of a sentence with "until"
            or "unless", but I was not able to say exactly in this case.

            K.

            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Robert J. McGehee