Re: [Czechlist] TERM: prozvonit

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2005
      On Friday, July 1, 2005, at 09:19 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

      > is a specific verb used in English for the cell phone trick of as if
      > calling
      > someone only to let the phone ring for a little while to let the
      > person on
      > the receiving side see the caller's identification on the phone's
      > display
      > and hang up to save on toll but giving a pre-agreed signal? It's
      > "prozvonit"
      > in Czech...

      It's "paging" in English, the same word we use when people use a
      beeper. The voicemail message will say, "If you would like to page
      this person, please press..."

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2005
        Dear Jamie,

        thanks for the reply. It's so logical, then. On the other hand, even if I
        had thought of 'page' as the verb, I don't think I would have been able to
        get the idea confirmed on the Web easily...