TERM: prozvonit

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2005
      Hi there,

      is a specific verb used in English for the cell phone trick of as if calling
      someone only to let the phone ring for a little while to let the person on
      the receiving side see the caller's identification on the phone's display
      and hang up to save on toll but giving a pre-agreed signal? It's "prozvonit"
      in Czech...

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2005
        On Friday, July 1, 2005, at 09:19 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

        > is a specific verb used in English for the cell phone trick of as if
        > calling
        > someone only to let the phone ring for a little while to let the
        > person on
        > the receiving side see the caller's identification on the phone's
        > display
        > and hang up to save on toll but giving a pre-agreed signal? It's
        > "prozvonit"
        > in Czech...

        It's "paging" in English, the same word we use when people use a
        beeper. The voicemail message will say, "If you would like to page
        this person, please press..."

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2005
          Dear Jamie,

          thanks for the reply. It's so logical, then. On the other hand, even if I
          had thought of 'page' as the verb, I don't think I would have been able to
          get the idea confirmed on the Web easily...