Re: "Foreign and domestic", "Dead or alive"

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005
      Jamie napsal:
      >"Foreign and domestic" for some reason sounds better in English than
      "domestic and foreign."

      Can't agree with you on this one (I'd say they are both equally
      acceptable) and notice FWIW the search engines put "domestic and
      foreign" out in front.

      Petr napsal
      To mne privedlo ke vzpomince, ze mi vzdycky bylo divne, proc se v
      cestine rika "zivy nebo mrtvy" (coz chapu jako "zivy, a kdyz to
      nepujde, tak aspon mrtvy), kdezto v anglictine je "dead or alive" (coz
      na mne pusobi krvelacnym dojmem "radeji mrtvy, ale zivy bude v
      nejhorsim pripade taky stacit"). To tak samozrejme jiste neni, ale
      zajimalo by mne, cim je ten slovosled urcen.

      Tvoje otazka mi pripomnel pasaz od Stevena Pinkera - Words and Rules -
      The Ingredients of Language (Phoenix 1990 - s. 90)

      Three of the great linguists of the middle decades of the twentieth
      century, Roman Jakobson, Jerzy Kurylowicz and Morris Swadesh, noticed
      that in many languages the vowels pronounced with the tongue high and
      at the front of the mouth tend to be used for the basic forms of nouns
      and verbs (such as the singular form of a noun and the infinitive of a
      verb), whereas the vowels pronounced with the tongue lower and farther
      back tend to be used for the specially marked forms (such as plural
      nouns and tensed verbs). Moreover, the higher and farther front vowels
      have different connotations from the lower and farther back vowels in
      pairs of contrasting words. The high front vowels come first in
      expressions such as pitter-patter and dribs and drabs; we don't say
      patter-pitter or drabs and dribs. And in pairs such as this and that,
      here and there, and me and you, the higher and farther-to-the-front
      vowels are found in the word that means 'self' or 'near the self', the
      lower and farther-to-the-back word means 'other' or 'far from the
      self'. That is true not only in English but in many families of languages.

      Urcite jsou vyjimky ale asi je to aspon castecne reseni.

      M.
      A boy can learn a lot from a dog: obedience, loyalty, and the
      importance of turning around three times before lying down.
      - Robert Benchley
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005
        Also that, across languages, the high front vowels indicate smallness.
        "Teeny" is smaller than "tiny", etc. Notice that in Czech the
        diminutive suffixes (teeny, tiny, sweetie I love you) tend to have
        front vowels (and the smaller the thing is, the more likely a high
        front /i/ is to appear in the suffix used), whereas the augmentative
        suffixes (you big monster I hate you) tend to contain a low back vowel.

        Jamie

        On Friday, July 1, 2005, at 08:15 AM, melvyn.geo wrote:

        > Three of the great linguists of the middle decades of the twentieth
        > century, Roman Jakobson, Jerzy Kurylowicz and Morris Swadesh, noticed
        > that in many languages the vowels pronounced with the tongue high and
        > at the front of the mouth tend to be used for the basic forms of nouns
        > and verbs (such as the singular form of a noun and the infinitive of a
        > verb), whereas the vowels pronounced with the tongue lower and farther
        > back tend to be used for the specially marked forms (such as plural
        > nouns and tensed verbs). Moreover, the higher and farther front vowels
        > have different connotations from the lower and farther back vowels in
        > pairs of contrasting words. The high front vowels come first in
        > expressions such as pitter-patter and dribs and drabs; we don't say
        > patter-pitter or drabs and dribs. And in pairs such as this and that,
        > here and there, and me and you, the higher and farther-to-the-front
        > vowels are found in the word that means 'self' or 'near the self', the
        > lower and farther-to-the-back word means 'other' or 'far from the
        > self'. That is true not only in English but in many families of
        > languages.

      • spektrum2002
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2005
          To jsem si dal! Ze jsem se radeji nezeptal na neco z kvantove
          mechaniky, to by mi asi bylo srozumitelnejsi.
          Petr