Re: [Czechlist] HELP: confused with until

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2005
      On Thursday, June 30, 2005, at 09:31 PM, kzgafas wrote:

      > I am somehow confused with this specific sentence:
      >
      > Continue holding the switch until the light #3 is lit.
      >
      > Znamena to:
      > Dr�te sp�na� stisknut�, dokud se kontrolka nerozsv�t�.
      >
      > nebo naopak:
      >
      > Dr�te sp�na� stisknut�, dokud kontrolka bude sv�tit.

      This would be in English, "Continue holding the switch as long as light
      #3 is [or remains] lit."

    • kzgafas
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2005
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@s...>
        wrote:

        > On Thursday, June 30, 2005, at 09:31 PM, kzgafas wrote:
        >

        > > I am somehow confused with this specific sentence:
        > >
        > > Continue holding the switch until the light #3 is lit.
        > >
        > > Znamena to:
        > > Držte spínaè stisknutý, dokud se kontrolka nerozsvítí.
        > >
        > > nebo naopak:
        > >
        > > Držte spínaè stisknutý, dokud kontrolka bude svítit.
        >
        > This would be in English, "Continue holding the switch as long as
        light
        > #3 is [or remains] lit."
        >
        > Jamie

        So you are confirming the same what Michael has suggested, right?

        K.
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2005
          On Friday, July 1, 2005, at 12:41 PM, kzgafas wrote:

          > So you are confirming the same what Michael has suggested, right?

          Yes. Confirming and expanding.

        • Robert J. McGehee
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
            Hello, I'm brand new to this group, but I feel that I have to jump in to this discussion. I happen to be a native speaker of English from the US and I have taught ESL for many years, so here is my take on the expression

            > Continue holding the switch until the light #3 is lit.

            What this means is that at first light #3 is not on. In order to turn it on you have to press a switch and hold it. Light #3 will not come on as soon as you press the switch, so you must hold the switch for some time. When light #3 turns on and is shining you may stop holding the switch. As a native speaker, I do not see any other way that that sentence could be interpreted.

            I hope this resolves the problem; if not, then we may need to see more of the context:-)

            Sincerely,

            Robert

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
              On Saturday, July 2, 2005, at 01:59 PM, Robert J. McGehee wrote:

              > Hello, I'm brand new to this group, but I feel that I have to jump in
              > to this discussion.� I happen to be a native speaker of English from
              > the US and I have taught ESL for many years, so here is my take on the
              > expression

              I am also a native speaker of English from the US and have also taught
              ESL for many years, have a master's in linguistics and have passed the
              Czech state general proficiency exam in the Czech language, and I just
              have to jump in here too.

              > > Continue holding the switch until the light #3 is lit.
              >
              > What this means is that at first light #3 is not on.� In order to turn
              > it on you have to press a switch and hold it.� Light #3 will not come
              > on as soon as you press the switch, so you must hold the switch for
              > some time.� When light #3 turns on and is shining you may stop holding
              > the switch.� As a native speaker, I do not see any other way that that
              > sentence could be interpreted.

              This is the meaning the original poster was asking about a few days ago
              when he followed up with the following question:

              >> Znamena to:
              >> Dr�te sp�na� stisknut�, dokud se kontrolka nerozsv�t�.

              And the meaning Michael was confirming when he responded:

              >> Presne tak.

              > I hope this resolves the problem; if not, then we may need to see more
              > of the context:-)

              I hope this clarifies the thread for you.

            • kzgafas
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
                Thanks to all for helping me with this one. I usually need to slow
                down to figure out the meaning of a sentence with "until"
                or "unless", but I was not able to say exactly in this case.

                K.

                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Robert J. McGehee