HELP: confused with until

  • kzgafas
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2005
      I am somehow confused with this specific sentence:

      Continue holding the switch until the light #3 is lit.

      Znamena to:
      Držte spínaè stisknutý, dokud se kontrolka nerozsvítí.

      nebo naopak:

      Držte spínaè stisknutý, dokud kontrolka bude svítit.

      Thank you,

      K.
    • Michael Gmail
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 30, 2005
        On Jun 30, 2005, at 8:31 PM, kzgafas wrote:

        > Continue holding the switch until the light #3 is lit.
        >
        > Znamena to:
        > Držte spínaè stisknutý, dokud se kontrolka nerozsvítí.

        Presne tak.

        <http://globalocal.blogspot.com>

        "Sex is war, kid, and women are the Nazis."
        - Burton
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 30, 2005
          On Thursday, June 30, 2005, at 09:31 PM, kzgafas wrote:

          > I am somehow confused with this specific sentence:
          >
          > Continue holding the switch until the light #3 is lit.
          >
          > Znamena to:
          > Dr�te sp�na� stisknut�, dokud se kontrolka nerozsv�t�.
          >
          > nebo naopak:
          >
          > Dr�te sp�na� stisknut�, dokud kontrolka bude sv�tit.

          This would be in English, "Continue holding the switch as long as light
          #3 is [or remains] lit."

        • kzgafas
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1, 2005
            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@s...>
            wrote:

            > On Thursday, June 30, 2005, at 09:31 PM, kzgafas wrote:
            >

            > > I am somehow confused with this specific sentence:
            > >
            > > Continue holding the switch until the light #3 is lit.
            > >
            > > Znamena to:
            > > Držte spínaè stisknutý, dokud se kontrolka nerozsvítí.
            > >
            > > nebo naopak:
            > >
            > > Držte spínaè stisknutý, dokud kontrolka bude svítit.
            >
            > This would be in English, "Continue holding the switch as long as
            light
            > #3 is [or remains] lit."
            >
            > Jamie

            So you are confirming the same what Michael has suggested, right?

            K.
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 1, 2005
              On Friday, July 1, 2005, at 12:41 PM, kzgafas wrote:

              > So you are confirming the same what Michael has suggested, right?

              Yes. Confirming and expanding.

            • Robert J. McGehee
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
                Hello, I'm brand new to this group, but I feel that I have to jump in to this discussion. I happen to be a native speaker of English from the US and I have taught ESL for many years, so here is my take on the expression

                > Continue holding the switch until the light #3 is lit.

                What this means is that at first light #3 is not on. In order to turn it on you have to press a switch and hold it. Light #3 will not come on as soon as you press the switch, so you must hold the switch for some time. When light #3 turns on and is shining you may stop holding the switch. As a native speaker, I do not see any other way that that sentence could be interpreted.

                I hope this resolves the problem; if not, then we may need to see more of the context:-)

                Sincerely,

                Robert

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
                  On Saturday, July 2, 2005, at 01:59 PM, Robert J. McGehee wrote:

                  > Hello, I'm brand new to this group, but I feel that I have to jump in
                  > to this discussion.� I happen to be a native speaker of English from
                  > the US and I have taught ESL for many years, so here is my take on the
                  > expression

                  I am also a native speaker of English from the US and have also taught
                  ESL for many years, have a master's in linguistics and have passed the
                  Czech state general proficiency exam in the Czech language, and I just
                  have to jump in here too.

                  > > Continue holding the switch until the light #3 is lit.
                  >
                  > What this means is that at first light #3 is not on.� In order to turn
                  > it on you have to press a switch and hold it.� Light #3 will not come
                  > on as soon as you press the switch, so you must hold the switch for
                  > some time.� When light #3 turns on and is shining you may stop holding
                  > the switch.� As a native speaker, I do not see any other way that that
                  > sentence could be interpreted.

                  This is the meaning the original poster was asking about a few days ago
                  when he followed up with the following question:

                  >> Znamena to:
                  >> Dr�te sp�na� stisknut�, dokud se kontrolka nerozsv�t�.

                  And the meaning Michael was confirming when he responded:

                  >> Presne tak.

                  > I hope this resolves the problem; if not, then we may need to see more
                  > of the context:-)

                  I hope this clarifies the thread for you.

                • kzgafas
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
                    Thanks to all for helping me with this one. I usually need to slow
                    down to figure out the meaning of a sentence with "until"
                    or "unless", but I was not able to say exactly in this case.

                    K.

                    --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Robert J. McGehee