THANKS maiden name, kniha jizd

  • Hana Viansová
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2005
      Melvyn and Jamie, thanks a lot

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "melvyn.geo" <zehrovak@...>
      To: <Czechlist@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2005 2:13 AM
      Subject: [Czechlist] Re: TERM maiden name, kniha jizd

      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Hana Viansová <bebeebeee@s...> wrote:
      > Hi all,
      > I have two things today.
      > One, would you think it sounded okay to say "What is your mother's
      maiden name?" Given that my mother last used her maiden name in the
      late fifties, I thought it might sound more natural to say "What WAS
      your mother's maiden name?"

      I guess a majority of people WOULD naturally prefer the past tense for
      the reasons that you give, but the present tense also seems perfectly
      logical to me, particularly in formal contexts: you might be surprised
      at how many Google hits you get for 'reverted to her maiden name'. :-)

      > Second thing is a few terms that have to do with business trips. One
      is "Kniha jizd" neboli "cestak" (dlouhe a, hacek nad t),

      Log book? E.g. see Millennium

      >Another one is "Vyuctovani tuzemskych a zahranicnich pracovnich
      jizd", which seems to be something like calculation/settlement of
      business trips within and outside the country.

      OK, or "Domestic and foreign business trips", i.e. lose the vyuctovani
      entirely in some contexts. Just express it with your body language. :-)

      Euro chick: No silly, American football is like a girly version of
      rugby, they have rules and pads.
      - Overheard in New York

      Czechlist resources:

      Yahoo! Groups Links