Re: [Czechlist] TERM maiden name, kniha jizd

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 29, 2005
      On Wednesday, June 29, 2005, at 04:26 PM, Hana Viansová wrote:

      > One, would you think it sounded okay to say "What is your mother's
      > maiden name?" Given that my mother last used her maiden name in the
      > late fifties, I thought it might sound more natural to say "What WAS
      > your mother's maiden name?"

      No, we still say, "What IS your mother's maiden name?" because that
      name can be dragged out for various purposes for the rest of the
      woman's life. If you say, "What WAS your mother's maiden name?" it
      sounds like she's dead, in which case you would also say, "What was
      your mother's name?"

      So, with names it's "is" for alive and "was" for dead. Doesn't matter
      how often they're actually used.

      > Second thing is a few terms that have to do with business trips. One
      > is "Kniha jizd" neboli "cestak" (dlouhe a, hacek nad t), which is a
      > kind of evidence of car drives/rides kept for accounting purposes I
      > guess.

      Trip log. Log of business trips.

      > Another one is "Vyuctovani tuzemskych a zahranicnich pracovnich jizd",
      > which seems to be something like calculation/settlement of business
      > trips within and outside the country.

      Expense report for foreign and domestic business trips.

      "Foreign and domestic" for some reason sounds better in English than
      "domestic and foreign."