TERM: your session has expired

  • notime_likepresent
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 28, 2005
      Not being a regular on Czech sites that could feature the following
      message, I need to ask you for the standard translation please.

      Your Session has expired. Please close this window and re-login.

      I especially need the first sentence.

      Many thanks,
      Radka
    • kzgafas
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 28, 2005
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "notime_likepresent"
        <radka_crossley@l...> wrote:
        > Not being a regular on Czech sites that could feature the following
        > message, I need to ask you for the standard translation please.
        >
        > Your Session has expired. Please close this window and re-login.
        >
        > I especially need the first sentence.
        >
        > Many thanks,
        > Radka

        From Microsoft glossary, otherwise (my own wording) in brackets:

        Vaše relace byla ukonèena. Zavøete toto okno (a pøihlaste se znovu).

        K.
      • notime_likepresent
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 28, 2005
          Diky Kostasi,

          Napadala me ruzna slovicka, ale relace urcite ne.

          Radka

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 28, 2005
            Jojo, to je ten pocitacovej zargon. Souhlasim s Kostou, resp. s druhou
            casti jeho odpovedi. Ta prvni by technicky presne mela znit spis takhle:
            Platnost relace vyprsela. (I kdyz souhlasis s tim, ze beznemu uzivateli
            je ten rozdil stejne sumak.)

            Martin

            notime_likepresent wrote:

            >Diky Kostasi,
            >
            >Napadala me ruzna slovicka, ale relace urcite ne.
            >
            >Radka
            >

            >--- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "kzgafas" <kzgafas@t...> wrote:
            >

            >>--- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "notime_likepresent"
            >><radka_crossley@l...> wrote:
            >>

            >>>Not being a regular on Czech sites that could feature the
            >>>

            >following
            >

            >>>message, I need to ask you for the standard translation please.
            >>>
            >>>Your Session has expired. Please close this window and re-login.
            >>>
            >>>I especially need the first sentence.
            >>>
            >>>Many thanks,
            >>>Radka
            >>>

            >>From Microsoft glossary, otherwise (my own wording) in brackets:
            >>
            >>Vaše relace byla ukonèena. Zavøete toto okno (a pøihlaste se znovu).
            >>
            >>K.
            >>

            >Czechlist resources:
            >http://www.bohemica.com/czechtranslation
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • spektrum2002
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 29, 2005
              To "expired" se vztahuje k delce relace, ktera je vycerpana, nikoli k
              tomu, ze relaci sice drzim v ruce, ale uz mi k nicemu neni, protoze
              ztratila platnost. Nemyslim si proto, že by "platnost" v teto
              souvislosti bylo to spravne slovo.
              Zdravi Petr Adamek
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 29, 2005
                No prave - relace ma platnost urcitou dobu (timeout). Kdyz doba vyprsi,
                platnost skonci. Ale pripoustim, ze je to mikrosofti logika, ktere ne
                kazdy rozumi a kazdy zkousne. Poctive jsem to opsal z jejich glosare....
                M.

                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 29, 2005
                  Hi, folks!

                  On Monday I was giving a beginning Czech lesson (the only kind of Czech
                  lesson I'll give) to someone here in Michigan, and her 18-year-old
                  cousin (the same one who had never heard the word cistonosoplena) told
                  me that a certain word order in one sentence was completely impossible.
                  Not just uncommon, but absolutely impossible.

                  Considering how many times I've seen young American English teachers in
                  the Czech Republic tell Czech students that perfectly normal and
                  correct sentences or word usages are "impossible", and how many times
                  I've been falsely corrected in my native language by American children
                  holding important editing positions in Prague, I thought I'd check with
                  you folks to see if I really didn't know what I was talking about.

                  The textbook had the sentence:

                  1. Spat budeme v hotelu.

                  which sounds to me something like

                  1a. As for sleeping, we'll do that at a hotel.

                  and the neutral word order would be

                  2. Budeme spat v hotelu.
                  2a. We'll sleep at a hotel.

                  I rattled off a bunch of word orders to the student, which ended with
                  this one:

                  3. V hotelu spat budeme!

                  which sounds to me like it says something like

                  3a. Look, dammit, we ARE going to sleep at a hotel!
                  or 3b. No, in fact we really ARE going to sleep at a hotel.

                  Anyway, the girl from the gympl told me that No. 3 is absolutely
                  impossible word order and cannot be said under any circumstances. What
                  do you educated natives think?

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 29, 2005
                    Hi Jamie,

                    my education was quite cheap, but no doubt you were right about the
                    sentence, "V hotelu spat budeme!". It should be marked 'unusual', but not
                    impossible. It is perhaps more likely to hear "V tom hotelu spat budeme.",
                    but even the above utterance about 'any' hotel works. It inevitably makes
                    the last word, or its first syllable, stressed. To further illustrate this
                    word order's meaning, I can easily imagine a sentence tag there, "ne ze
                    ne"...

                    Jirka Bolech
                  • Milan Condak
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 29, 2005
                      v dialogu:
                      "V hotelu spat nebudete." ("A nebudete spat v hotelu.")
                      Je spravna odpoved:
                      "V hotelu spat budeme!"
                      -
                      "budeme" na konci vety oznamuje nase presvedceni nebo rozhodnuti =
                      informaci.

                      Milan

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 29, 2005
                        You were right.

                        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@s...>
                        wrote:
                        > Hi, folks!
                        >
                        > On Monday I was giving a beginning Czech lesson (the only kind of
                        Czech
                        > lesson I'll give) to someone here in Michigan, and her 18-year-old
                        > cousin (the same one who had never heard the word cistonosoplena)
                        told
                        > me that a certain word order in one sentence was completely
                        impossible.
                        > Not just uncommon, but absolutely impossible.
                        >
                        > Considering how many times I've seen young American English
                        teachers in
                        > the Czech Republic tell Czech students that perfectly normal and
                        > correct sentences or word usages are "impossible", and how many
                        times
                        > I've been falsely corrected in my native language by American
                        children
                        > holding important editing positions in Prague, I thought I'd check
                        with
                        > you folks to see if I really didn't know what I was talking about.
                        >
                        > The textbook had the sentence:
                        >
                        > 1. Spat budeme v hotelu.
                        >
                        > which sounds to me something like
                        >
                        > 1a. As for sleeping, we'll do that at a hotel.
                        >
                        > and the neutral word order would be
                        >
                        > 2. Budeme spat v hotelu.
                        > 2a. We'll sleep at a hotel.
                        >
                        > I rattled off a bunch of word orders to the student, which ended
                        with
                        > this one:
                        >
                        > 3. V hotelu spat budeme!
                        >
                        > which sounds to me like it says something like
                        >
                        > 3a. Look, dammit, we ARE going to sleep at a hotel!
                        > or 3b. No, in fact we really ARE going to sleep at a
                        hotel.

                        > Anyway, the girl from the gympl told me that No. 3 is absolutely
                        > impossible word order and cannot be said under any circumstances.
                        What
                        > do you educated natives think?
                        >
                        > Jamie
                      • Tomas Holub, Lokativ
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 29, 2005
                          Dobre receno.
                          Mne to zase pripomnelo (i kdyz si to vzhledem ke svemu veku zas az tak
                          nepamatuji) vyroky typu:

                          "Plan treti petiletky splnime!"

                          Zda se jedna o presvedceni nebo rozhodnuti nebo o neco jineho ponechavam
                          na ctenari :-)

                          Tomas Holub

                          Milan Condak wrote:

                          > v dialogu:
                          >"V hotelu spat nebudete." ("A nebudete spat v hotelu.")
                          >Je spravna odpoved:
                          >"V hotelu spat budeme!"
                          >-
                          >"budeme" na konci vety oznamuje nase presvedceni nebo rozhodnuti =
                          >informaci.
                          >
                          >Milan

                        • Jaroslav Suchánek
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 29, 2005
                            Just a quotation from MS Encarta:
                            Czech differs from some other Slavic languages in .... the exceptionally
                            free word order ....

                            A poradek slov urcuje i jejich dulezitost.
                            Kdysi davno jsem se zucastnil jednoho prekladatelskeho seminare a pí.
                            profesorka z fakulty v Hybernske nam vysvetlovala, ze se v cestine dava
                            (zpravidla mimodek, aniz by si to mluvci uvedomoval) nejdulezitejsi slovo
                            (sdeleni) na konec vety. To by mohl byt tento priklad ne?
                            Jarda

                            > Message: 12
                            > Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:32:49 +0200
                            > From: "Tomas Holub, Lokativ" <lokativ@...>
                            > Subject: Re: Syntax question
                            >
                            > Dobre receno.
                            > Mne to zase pripomnelo (i kdyz si to vzhledem ke svemu veku zas az tak
                            > nepamatuji) vyroky typu:
                            >
                            > "Plan treti petiletky splnime!"
                            >
                            > Zda se jedna o presvedceni nebo rozhodnuti nebo o neco jineho ponechavam
                            > na ctenari :-)
                            >
                            > Tomas Holub

                          • Miluse Saskova-Pierce
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 1 3:52 AM
                              Vsechny tri vety jsou v poradku a preklad je perfektni�. Issues of linguistic
                              power?

                              Mi�la

                              Dr. Mila Saskova-Pierce
                              Minor Languages Section Head
                              Department of Modern Languages
                              University of Nebraska at Lincoln
                              NE 68588-0315

                              e-mail: msaskova-pierce1@...

                              Tel: (402) 472 1336
                              Fax: (402) 472 0327
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 1 5:07 AM
                                On Friday, July 1, 2005, at 06:52 AM, Miluse Saskova-Pierce wrote:

                                > Vsechny tri vety jsou v poradku a preklad je perfektni≠. Issues of
                                > linguistic
                                > power?

                                Thank you for the feedback, but what do you mean by issues of
                                linguistic power? I'm mainly a phonologist and syntactician, and I
                                don't know much about linguistic power politics things.