Re: Help: nakonci, gombik

  • coilinoc
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 22 5:54 AM
      > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "coilinoc" <coilinoc@y...> wrote:
      >
      > > nakonci (long a and i as well as a hacek over the c)
      > > I have actually found the following definition for it but have NO
      > > CLUE what to call it in English:
      > > Nakonci oznacuje zakonceni na kozenych pochvach mecu nebo dyk na
      > > koncich pasku
      > > Any ideas anyone?
      >
      > Could this be the chape?

      Thanks a million Melvyn and Petr. I reckon chape will work in this
      context as its described by the COED as "the metal cap of a scabbard
      point." (it can also be "the back piece of a buckle attaching it to a
      strap, etc," or "a sliding loop on a belt or strap"). I'm glad that
      we actually have a world for it in English, although I must admit
      that I had never heard it in my life before...

      Coilin