Re: [Czechlist] THANKS: Zampach

  • Jan Culka
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 7, 2005
      What is Zampach´s christian name? My colleague Mojmir Zampach has 3 or 4
      children .... they may be between 20 and 30.
      Honza

      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 7, 2005
        Both of these are likely to be connected with the place of
        articulation of these sounds. Sounds which share the majority of
        aspects of articulation (place, way, voicing) but differ in one of
        them tend to replace

        > By the way, if Zampach came from Sandbach, why is it that so many
        > German words, on their way to becoming Czech, saw their /b/ turn
        into
        > [p]? Purkmistr, etc.

        "B" and "p" are both biabial plosives, with the only difference "b"
        is voiced while "p" is voiceless. A similar situation may be observed
        among Scandinavian languages, where Danish words have "b" where their
        Norwegian counterparts have "p". The same principle (alternation
        between voiced and voiceless phonemes) applies to English words such
        as "wife" vs. "wives", "use (verb)" vs. "use (noun)".

        And I seem to notice that the [v] could turn
        > into [b] (as in a word for sausage).

        Although these two do not have as much in common as "b" and "p" (they
        share only 1 pronounciation feature out of 3, i.e. they are both
        voiced), they seem to occur as counterparts in everyday pronunciation
        quite often. I believe it is because "b", being a bilabial plosive
        (pronounced as the air is channeled between both lips, 'exploding')
        requires more energy than "v", a labiodental fricative (pronounced as
        the air creates friction between the lower lip and the teeth). Notice
        that when Czechs are slack with their pronounciation, they would
        often pronounce their "b's" as "v's", on the principle of least
        effort and "a lazy speaker."

        HTH
        Beata
      • spektrum2002
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 7, 2005
          Ceskemu uchu zni nemecke "b" jako "p" a nemecke "a" jako "o". Proto je
          v cestine neformalni vyraz pro otce "fotr" (Vater) a pro truhlarsky
          stul "ponk" (Bank).
          Jednou jsem byl jako chlapec v Berline a pani, u ktere jsem bydlel, mne
          poslala do samoobsluhy ("supermarketu") pro praci prasek, ktery se mel
          jmenovat "Planka-Plink". Bylo mi to divne, tak jsem se zeptal: "Heisst
          das Planka-Plink oder Blanka-Blink"? Pry: "Planka-Plink". Samozrejme
          jsem pak v obchode nasel prasek o nazvu "Blanka-Blink".
          Take nas ucitelka nemciny nabadala, abychom predponu "ab-"
          vyslovovali "ap" (napriklad v "ablehnenen"), ale nevim jestli by to
          melo vseobecnou platnost.
          Petr Adamek

          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 7, 2005
            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, ing.Sárka Rubková <rubkova@l...> wrote:
            > Zampach je nejen v orlickych horach, ale taky na Sázave

            Incidentally, there is also a market-town up in Cheshire, GB, called
            Sandbach, which was originally an Anglo-Saxon settlement named after
            the local sandy brook:

            Sandbach "sandy stream or valley" – Sanbec dated to the Domesday Book
            and Sondbache dated to 1260. Also, Sandbeck "sandy brook" on p. 403,
            with Sandbec dated to 1148 and 1222.
            www.sca-caid.org/herald/minutes/2003/min0302.html

            These Saxons certainly got about. The Welsh (just down the road from
            Sandbach) call the English `Sas' to this day.

            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 7, 2005
              I'm a phonologist (by training), so I could easily see the relationship
              between place of articulation, etc. What I wondered was what would
              trigger these changes (in the environment of the sound, etc.).

              On Tuesday, June 7, 2005, at 07:30 AM, Beata Rodlingova wrote:

              > > By the way, if Zampach came from Sandbach, why is it that so many
              > > German words, on their way to becoming Czech, saw their /b/ turn
              > into
              > > [p]?  Purkmistr, etc.
              >
              > "B" and "p" are both biabial plosives, with the only difference "b"
              > is voiced while "p" is voiceless. A similar situation may be observed
              > among Scandinavian languages, where Danish words have "b" where their
              > Norwegian counterparts have "p". The same principle (alternation
              > between voiced and voiceless phonemes) applies to English words such
              > as "wife" vs. "wives", "use (verb)" vs. "use (noun)".

              Right, but in English, the reason for the voicing would have been
              assimilation when the consonant is between two vowels or other voiced
              sonorants. (The verb "use" would probably have had a suffix in days of
              yore.) I don't see anything in the environment that would change /b/
              to [p] in "Bürgermeister", unless the Czechs devoiced those stops after
              word breaks.

              > And I seem to notice that the [v] could turn
              > > into [b] (as in a word for sausage).
              >
              > Although these two do not have as much in common as "b" and "p" (they
              > share only 1 pronounciation feature out of 3, i.e. they are both
              > voiced), they seem to occur as counterparts in everyday pronunciation
              > quite often. I believe it is because "b", being a bilabial plosive
              > (pronounced as the air is channeled between both lips, 'exploding')
              > requires more energy than "v", a labiodental fricative (pronounced as
              > the air creates friction between the lower lip and the teeth). Notice
              > that when Czechs are slack with their pronounciation, they would
              > often pronounce their "b's" as "v's", on the principle of least
              > effort and "a lazy speaker."

              Okay, but why would "Wurst" end up in Czech beginning with a /b/ sound
              when Czech has a /v/ sound already? I could see if it got into
              Spanish, but not Czech. This is very mysterious. Has to have
              something to do with Austrian pronunciation, as Honza said, (and
              Bavarian, I'll bet).

              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 7, 2005
                On Tuesday, June 7, 2005, at 07:32 AM, spektrum2002 wrote:

                > Ceskemu uchu zni nemecke "b" jako "p" a nemecke "a" jako "o". Proto je
                > v cestine neformalni vyraz pro otce "fotr" (Vater) a pro truhlarsky
                > stul "ponk" (Bank).

                This seems like it would have something more to do with the Bavarians
                pronounce /a/, which is similar to the English vowel in "caught". I
                can't imagine that Czechs would mistake the /a/ pronounced in Cologne
                or Hamburg for [o].

                > Jednou jsem byl jako chlapec v Berline a pani, u ktere jsem bydlel, mne
                > poslala do samoobsluhy ("supermarketu") pro praci prasek, ktery se mel
                > jmenovat "Planka-Plink". Bylo mi to divne, tak jsem se zeptal: "Heisst
                > das Planka-Plink oder Blanka-Blink"? Pry: "Planka-Plink". Samozrejme
                > jsem pak v obchode nasel prasek o nazvu "Blanka-Blink".

                I wonder if this is because Czechs lack aspiration in their /p/. If
                they "don't hear" the German aspiration, it's conceivable that they
                might have trouble hearing the difference between that and /b/. This
                would be a matter of what I call "hearing with an accent".

                I once used the expression "pop psychology" when talking to my
                department head in Marianske Lazne, and he thought I was talking about
                the mentality of people who hang around in pubs ([paps] in his speech).

              • Jan Culka
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 7, 2005
                  No, Jamie, even the Austrians (and Bavarians) say "Wurscht" (although the
                  rule says "st" is pronunciated as "scht" when in the word beginning only).
                  But with "v", not "b".
                  It is a mystery. Let´s reconcile with the fact that certain illogical
                  effects appear sometimes.
                  Maybe "bu" sounded to Czech ear more pleasantly or strikingly than "vu".
                  Take into account please that "vur^t" is considered more literate that
                  "bur^t" although both expressions are rather German than Czech.
                  Honza

                  I'm a phonologist (by training), so I could easily see the relationship
                  between place of articulation, etc. What I wondered was what would
                  trigger these changes (in the environment of the sound, etc.).

                  On Tuesday, June 7, 2005, at 07:30 AM, Beata Rodlingova wrote:

                  > > By the way, if Zampach came from Sandbach, why is it that so many
                  > > German words, on their way to becoming Czech, saw their /b/ turn
                  > into
                  > > [p]? Purkmistr, etc.
                  >
                  > "B" and "p" are both biabial plosives, with the only difference "b"
                  > is voiced while "p" is voiceless. A similar situation may be observed
                  > among Scandinavian languages, where Danish words have "b" where their
                  > Norwegian counterparts have "p". The same principle (alternation
                  > between voiced and voiceless phonemes) applies to English words such
                  > as "wife" vs. "wives", "use (verb)" vs. "use (noun)".

                  Right, but in English, the reason for the voicing would have been
                  assimilation when the consonant is between two vowels or other voiced
                  sonorants. (The verb "use" would probably have had a suffix in days of
                  yore.) I don't see anything in the environment that would change /b/
                  to [p] in "Bürgermeister", unless the Czechs devoiced those stops after
                  word breaks.

                  > And I seem to notice that the [v] could turn
                  > > into [b] (as in a word for sausage).
                  >
                  > Although these two do not have as much in common as "b" and "p" (they
                  > share only 1 pronounciation feature out of 3, i.e. they are both
                  > voiced), they seem to occur as counterparts in everyday pronunciation
                  > quite often. I believe it is because "b", being a bilabial plosive
                  > (pronounced as the air is channeled between both lips, 'exploding')
                  > requires more energy than "v", a labiodental fricative (pronounced as
                  > the air creates friction between the lower lip and the teeth). Notice
                  > that when Czechs are slack with their pronounciation, they would
                  > often pronounce their "b's" as "v's", on the principle of least
                  > effort and "a lazy speaker."

                  Okay, but why would "Wurst" end up in Czech beginning with a /b/ sound
                  when Czech has a /v/ sound already? I could see if it got into
                  Spanish, but not Czech. This is very mysterious. Has to have
                  something to do with Austrian pronunciation, as Honza said, (and
                  Bavarian, I'll bet).

                  Czechlist resources:

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Roman Dergam
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 7, 2005
                    V Út, 07. 06. 2005 v 14:33, Jan Culka píše:

                    > Maybe "bu" sounded to Czech ear more pleasantly or strikingly than "vu".

                    Urcite.

                    Cesky narodni korpus (using syn2000):

                    Počet výskytů: 370890
                    > Query : "bu.*" >> a query for words starting with "bu"

                    Počet výskytů: 1622
                    > Query : "vu.*" >> a query for words starting with "vu"

                    Roman Dergam
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 7, 2005
                      On Tuesday, June 7, 2005, at 10:23 AM, Roman Dergam wrote:

                      > Počet výskytů: 370890
                      >> Query : "bu.*" >> a query for words starting with "bu"
                      >
                      > Počet výskytů: 1622
                      >> Query : "vu.*" >> a query for words starting with "vu"

                      That was the next thing I was going to ask. Thanks.

                      How do you access this corpus?

                      Jamie
                    • Roman Dergam
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 8, 2005
                        Hello,

                        look at http://ucnk.ff.cuni.cz . You can access it either on-line or
                        register for free, download an application (for Windows or Linux) and
                        use it from your computer (for more sophisticated searches). Great
                        stuff.

                        Roman Dergam