Re: NAME: Zampach

  • spektrum2002
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 6, 2005
      Pokud jde o prijmeni, to nevim, ale u hradu Z^ampach jsem na internetu
      nasel:
      ... historicky zajimavou, povestmi opredenou zriceninu hradu Zampach. .
      Jeho puvodni nazev byl Sandbach, coz je doslovny preklad jmena blizke
      vsi Pisecna, ...

      > Hey, guys!
      >
      > Does the Czech surname Zampach have any identifiable meaning?
      >
      > Jamie
    • Jan Culka
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 7, 2005
        Hey, guy!
        Most of Czech local names ending with -ach, -pach, -bach are of German
        origin. Bach = brook. Speaking about Z^ampach, we can presume either
        Sandbach (Sandy brook) or possibly also Sumpfbach (Muddy brook).
        Honza

        > Does the Czech surname Zampach have any identifiable meaning?
        >
        > Jamie
        >

        > Czechlist resources:

      • ing.Sárka Rubková
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 7, 2005
          Zampach je nejen v orlickych horach, ale taky na Sázave

          Sarka

          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 7, 2005
            Thank you, Petr, Petr, Honza and Sarka. My student, née Zampach
            (without -ová) will be pleased to have this information.

            By the way, if Zampach came from Sandbach, why is it that so many
            German words, on their way to becoming Czech, saw their /b/ turn into
            [p]? Purkmistr, etc. And I seem to notice that the [v] could turn
            into [b] (as in a word for sausage).

            Jamie
          • Jan Culka
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 7, 2005
              These b > p, g > k, z^ > s^, etc. are influenced by Austrian pronunciation
              of German (you certainly know that the Czechs lived under and with the
              Austrians some 300 years).
              And in addition, it is easier to say e.g. z^lap than y^lab, which correct in
              literary Czech. We were taught that this phenomenon does not appear in
              literary English - how is it with spoken or dialect English?
              Honza

              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 7, 2005
                What is Zampach´s christian name? My colleague Mojmir Zampach has 3 or 4
                children .... they may be between 20 and 30.
                Honza

                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 7, 2005
                  Both of these are likely to be connected with the place of
                  articulation of these sounds. Sounds which share the majority of
                  aspects of articulation (place, way, voicing) but differ in one of
                  them tend to replace

                  > By the way, if Zampach came from Sandbach, why is it that so many
                  > German words, on their way to becoming Czech, saw their /b/ turn
                  into
                  > [p]? Purkmistr, etc.

                  "B" and "p" are both biabial plosives, with the only difference "b"
                  is voiced while "p" is voiceless. A similar situation may be observed
                  among Scandinavian languages, where Danish words have "b" where their
                  Norwegian counterparts have "p". The same principle (alternation
                  between voiced and voiceless phonemes) applies to English words such
                  as "wife" vs. "wives", "use (verb)" vs. "use (noun)".

                  And I seem to notice that the [v] could turn
                  > into [b] (as in a word for sausage).

                  Although these two do not have as much in common as "b" and "p" (they
                  share only 1 pronounciation feature out of 3, i.e. they are both
                  voiced), they seem to occur as counterparts in everyday pronunciation
                  quite often. I believe it is because "b", being a bilabial plosive
                  (pronounced as the air is channeled between both lips, 'exploding')
                  requires more energy than "v", a labiodental fricative (pronounced as
                  the air creates friction between the lower lip and the teeth). Notice
                  that when Czechs are slack with their pronounciation, they would
                  often pronounce their "b's" as "v's", on the principle of least
                  effort and "a lazy speaker."

                  HTH
                  Beata
                • spektrum2002
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 7, 2005
                    Ceskemu uchu zni nemecke "b" jako "p" a nemecke "a" jako "o". Proto je
                    v cestine neformalni vyraz pro otce "fotr" (Vater) a pro truhlarsky
                    stul "ponk" (Bank).
                    Jednou jsem byl jako chlapec v Berline a pani, u ktere jsem bydlel, mne
                    poslala do samoobsluhy ("supermarketu") pro praci prasek, ktery se mel
                    jmenovat "Planka-Plink". Bylo mi to divne, tak jsem se zeptal: "Heisst
                    das Planka-Plink oder Blanka-Blink"? Pry: "Planka-Plink". Samozrejme
                    jsem pak v obchode nasel prasek o nazvu "Blanka-Blink".
                    Take nas ucitelka nemciny nabadala, abychom predponu "ab-"
                    vyslovovali "ap" (napriklad v "ablehnenen"), ale nevim jestli by to
                    melo vseobecnou platnost.
                    Petr Adamek

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 7, 2005
                      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, ing.Sárka Rubková <rubkova@l...> wrote:
                      > Zampach je nejen v orlickych horach, ale taky na Sázave

                      Incidentally, there is also a market-town up in Cheshire, GB, called
                      Sandbach, which was originally an Anglo-Saxon settlement named after
                      the local sandy brook:

                      Sandbach "sandy stream or valley" – Sanbec dated to the Domesday Book
                      and Sondbache dated to 1260. Also, Sandbeck "sandy brook" on p. 403,
                      with Sandbec dated to 1148 and 1222.
                      www.sca-caid.org/herald/minutes/2003/min0302.html

                      These Saxons certainly got about. The Welsh (just down the road from
                      Sandbach) call the English `Sas' to this day.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 7, 2005
                        I'm a phonologist (by training), so I could easily see the relationship
                        between place of articulation, etc. What I wondered was what would
                        trigger these changes (in the environment of the sound, etc.).

                        On Tuesday, June 7, 2005, at 07:30 AM, Beata Rodlingova wrote:

                        > > By the way, if Zampach came from Sandbach, why is it that so many
                        > > German words, on their way to becoming Czech, saw their /b/ turn
                        > into
                        > > [p]?  Purkmistr, etc.
                        >
                        > "B" and "p" are both biabial plosives, with the only difference "b"
                        > is voiced while "p" is voiceless. A similar situation may be observed
                        > among Scandinavian languages, where Danish words have "b" where their
                        > Norwegian counterparts have "p". The same principle (alternation
                        > between voiced and voiceless phonemes) applies to English words such
                        > as "wife" vs. "wives", "use (verb)" vs. "use (noun)".

                        Right, but in English, the reason for the voicing would have been
                        assimilation when the consonant is between two vowels or other voiced
                        sonorants. (The verb "use" would probably have had a suffix in days of
                        yore.) I don't see anything in the environment that would change /b/
                        to [p] in "Bürgermeister", unless the Czechs devoiced those stops after
                        word breaks.

                        > And I seem to notice that the [v] could turn
                        > > into [b] (as in a word for sausage).
                        >
                        > Although these two do not have as much in common as "b" and "p" (they
                        > share only 1 pronounciation feature out of 3, i.e. they are both
                        > voiced), they seem to occur as counterparts in everyday pronunciation
                        > quite often. I believe it is because "b", being a bilabial plosive
                        > (pronounced as the air is channeled between both lips, 'exploding')
                        > requires more energy than "v", a labiodental fricative (pronounced as
                        > the air creates friction between the lower lip and the teeth). Notice
                        > that when Czechs are slack with their pronounciation, they would
                        > often pronounce their "b's" as "v's", on the principle of least
                        > effort and "a lazy speaker."

                        Okay, but why would "Wurst" end up in Czech beginning with a /b/ sound
                        when Czech has a /v/ sound already? I could see if it got into
                        Spanish, but not Czech. This is very mysterious. Has to have
                        something to do with Austrian pronunciation, as Honza said, (and
                        Bavarian, I'll bet).

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 7, 2005
                          On Tuesday, June 7, 2005, at 07:32 AM, spektrum2002 wrote:

                          > Ceskemu uchu zni nemecke "b" jako "p" a nemecke "a" jako "o". Proto je
                          > v cestine neformalni vyraz pro otce "fotr" (Vater) a pro truhlarsky
                          > stul "ponk" (Bank).

                          This seems like it would have something more to do with the Bavarians
                          pronounce /a/, which is similar to the English vowel in "caught". I
                          can't imagine that Czechs would mistake the /a/ pronounced in Cologne
                          or Hamburg for [o].

                          > Jednou jsem byl jako chlapec v Berline a pani, u ktere jsem bydlel, mne
                          > poslala do samoobsluhy ("supermarketu") pro praci prasek, ktery se mel
                          > jmenovat "Planka-Plink". Bylo mi to divne, tak jsem se zeptal: "Heisst
                          > das Planka-Plink oder Blanka-Blink"? Pry: "Planka-Plink". Samozrejme
                          > jsem pak v obchode nasel prasek o nazvu "Blanka-Blink".

                          I wonder if this is because Czechs lack aspiration in their /p/. If
                          they "don't hear" the German aspiration, it's conceivable that they
                          might have trouble hearing the difference between that and /b/. This
                          would be a matter of what I call "hearing with an accent".

                          I once used the expression "pop psychology" when talking to my
                          department head in Marianske Lazne, and he thought I was talking about
                          the mentality of people who hang around in pubs ([paps] in his speech).

                        • Jan Culka
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 7, 2005
                            No, Jamie, even the Austrians (and Bavarians) say "Wurscht" (although the
                            rule says "st" is pronunciated as "scht" when in the word beginning only).
                            But with "v", not "b".
                            It is a mystery. Let´s reconcile with the fact that certain illogical
                            effects appear sometimes.
                            Maybe "bu" sounded to Czech ear more pleasantly or strikingly than "vu".
                            Take into account please that "vur^t" is considered more literate that
                            "bur^t" although both expressions are rather German than Czech.
                            Honza

                            I'm a phonologist (by training), so I could easily see the relationship
                            between place of articulation, etc. What I wondered was what would
                            trigger these changes (in the environment of the sound, etc.).

                            On Tuesday, June 7, 2005, at 07:30 AM, Beata Rodlingova wrote:

                            > > By the way, if Zampach came from Sandbach, why is it that so many
                            > > German words, on their way to becoming Czech, saw their /b/ turn
                            > into
                            > > [p]? Purkmistr, etc.
                            >
                            > "B" and "p" are both biabial plosives, with the only difference "b"
                            > is voiced while "p" is voiceless. A similar situation may be observed
                            > among Scandinavian languages, where Danish words have "b" where their
                            > Norwegian counterparts have "p". The same principle (alternation
                            > between voiced and voiceless phonemes) applies to English words such
                            > as "wife" vs. "wives", "use (verb)" vs. "use (noun)".

                            Right, but in English, the reason for the voicing would have been
                            assimilation when the consonant is between two vowels or other voiced
                            sonorants. (The verb "use" would probably have had a suffix in days of
                            yore.) I don't see anything in the environment that would change /b/
                            to [p] in "Bürgermeister", unless the Czechs devoiced those stops after
                            word breaks.

                            > And I seem to notice that the [v] could turn
                            > > into [b] (as in a word for sausage).
                            >
                            > Although these two do not have as much in common as "b" and "p" (they
                            > share only 1 pronounciation feature out of 3, i.e. they are both
                            > voiced), they seem to occur as counterparts in everyday pronunciation
                            > quite often. I believe it is because "b", being a bilabial plosive
                            > (pronounced as the air is channeled between both lips, 'exploding')
                            > requires more energy than "v", a labiodental fricative (pronounced as
                            > the air creates friction between the lower lip and the teeth). Notice
                            > that when Czechs are slack with their pronounciation, they would
                            > often pronounce their "b's" as "v's", on the principle of least
                            > effort and "a lazy speaker."

                            Okay, but why would "Wurst" end up in Czech beginning with a /b/ sound
                            when Czech has a /v/ sound already? I could see if it got into
                            Spanish, but not Czech. This is very mysterious. Has to have
                            something to do with Austrian pronunciation, as Honza said, (and
                            Bavarian, I'll bet).

                            Czechlist resources:

                            Yahoo! Groups Links
                          • Roman Dergam
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 7, 2005
                              V Út, 07. 06. 2005 v 14:33, Jan Culka píše:

                              > Maybe "bu" sounded to Czech ear more pleasantly or strikingly than "vu".

                              Urcite.

                              Cesky narodni korpus (using syn2000):

                              Počet výskytů: 370890
                              > Query : "bu.*" >> a query for words starting with "bu"

                              Počet výskytů: 1622
                              > Query : "vu.*" >> a query for words starting with "vu"

                              Roman Dergam
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 7, 2005
                                On Tuesday, June 7, 2005, at 10:23 AM, Roman Dergam wrote:

                                > Počet výskytů: 370890
                                >> Query : "bu.*" >> a query for words starting with "bu"
                                >
                                > Počet výskytů: 1622
                                >> Query : "vu.*" >> a query for words starting with "vu"

                                That was the next thing I was going to ask. Thanks.

                                How do you access this corpus?

                                Jamie
                              • Roman Dergam
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jun 8, 2005
                                  Hello,

                                  look at http://ucnk.ff.cuni.cz . You can access it either on-line or
                                  register for free, download an application (for Windows or Linux) and
                                  use it from your computer (for more sophisticated searches). Great
                                  stuff.

                                  Roman Dergam