Re: [Czechlist] INFO/CHAT: Bits and bobs

  • Tomas Holub, Lokativ
    Message 1 of 6 , May 30, 2005
      Diky Melvyne,

      dovolim si pripojit par komentaru:

      >Just tying up a couple of loose ends from our recent gathering:
      >
      >1) Playing/messing around e.g. with some hobby = pottering around
      >with, tinkering around with (somehow sounds more metallic :-) than
      >pottering around, so perhaps more appropriate for computers)

      Pro nepritomne - puvodni ceske slovo bylo "hracickovat" - ve vyznamu
      hrat si s necim, delat neco jen pro radost.

      >2) "on internet" (without article); not recommended at all. Perhaps
      >just conceivable in the telegraphic style you see e.g. in tables and
      >lists, but unusual even there IMHO.

      Z pohledu "geeka" - bez clenu bych to take nepouzil. Take se stale resi,
      zda pouzivat male nebo velke pismeno. Zalezi spise na "presvedceni"
      autora - Internet (s velkym I) je nazev celosvetove site propojene
      protokolem internet (s malym i). Toto rozdeleni pochopitelne neni zrejme
      pro laickou verejnost.

      >3) VTrain Vocabulary Trainer - highly recommended!
      >VTrain (Vocabulary Trainer) is flashcard software that tests you on
      >Question/Answer flashcards and draws up a schedule of repetitions ...
      >www.paul-raedle.de/vtrain/home.htm

      Pro "hracicky" ;-) doporucuji software SuperMemo,

      www.supermemo.com
      www.supermemo.cz

      ktery vyuziva vedecke poznatky tykajici se procesu zapominani.
      Muzu zapujcit verzi na vyzkouseni - bohuzel jiz starsiho data (SuperMemo 8 a SuperMemo for Palm Pilot - ted se divam, ze lze stale koupit vsechny verze; cim starsi tim levnejsi, SM8 stoji jen $4 - zajimave). Existuje i verze na webu zdarma.

      Tomas
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 7, 2005
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Tomas Holub, Lokativ"
        <lokativ@g...> wrote:
        > Pro nepritomne - puvodni ceske slovo bylo "hracickovat" - ve vyznamu
        > hrat si s necim, delat neco jen pro radost.

        Hence 'hracicka' - inter alia 'a person who always tinkers with
        things' according to Fronek. A nice addition to my 'Czechs have a word
        for it' collection. Alongside 'vlastiveda'.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 7, 2005
          > Hence 'hracicka' - inter alia 'a person who always tinkers with things'
          according to Fronek.

          Typical sentence with this word: "Ty jsi ale hracicka." or "To [on] je ale
          hracicka."; with a sort of derogative meaning...

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 8, 2005
            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jirka Bolech" <jirka.bolech@s...>
            wrote:
            > > Hence 'hracicka' - inter alia 'a person who always tinkers with
            things'
            > according to Fronek.
            >
            > Typical sentence with this word: "Ty jsi ale hracicka." or "To [on]
            je ale
            > hracicka."; with a sort of derogative meaning...

            OK thanks, you mean with a suggestion of amateurism and dilettantism,
            i.e. that the hracicka just likes to mess around and doesn't do
            anything properly?

            I presume it could also be used in an affectionate and indulgent manner.