Re: INFO/CHAT: Bits and bobs

  • spektrum2002
    Message 1 of 6 , May 30, 2005
      Diky, Melvyne, s tim odkazem jsi mì potesil, uz jsem si to objednal.
      > 6) redirecting a message for those interested in Hyman Kaplan
      originals:

      > >http://megabooks.cz/book.php?id=0156278111
      >
      > >I'm only afraid that they have a wrong cover picture, compare
      > >http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0156278111
      > >- that's the one I saw in shops some years ago
      > >and bought for a friend who was interested.
    • Tomas Holub, Lokativ
      Message 2 of 6 , May 30, 2005
        Diky Melvyne,

        dovolim si pripojit par komentaru:

        >Just tying up a couple of loose ends from our recent gathering:
        >
        >1) Playing/messing around e.g. with some hobby = pottering around
        >with, tinkering around with (somehow sounds more metallic :-) than
        >pottering around, so perhaps more appropriate for computers)

        Pro nepritomne - puvodni ceske slovo bylo "hracickovat" - ve vyznamu
        hrat si s necim, delat neco jen pro radost.

        >2) "on internet" (without article); not recommended at all. Perhaps
        >just conceivable in the telegraphic style you see e.g. in tables and
        >lists, but unusual even there IMHO.

        Z pohledu "geeka" - bez clenu bych to take nepouzil. Take se stale resi,
        zda pouzivat male nebo velke pismeno. Zalezi spise na "presvedceni"
        autora - Internet (s velkym I) je nazev celosvetove site propojene
        protokolem internet (s malym i). Toto rozdeleni pochopitelne neni zrejme
        pro laickou verejnost.

        >3) VTrain Vocabulary Trainer - highly recommended!
        >VTrain (Vocabulary Trainer) is flashcard software that tests you on
        >Question/Answer flashcards and draws up a schedule of repetitions ...
        >www.paul-raedle.de/vtrain/home.htm

        Pro "hracicky" ;-) doporucuji software SuperMemo,

        www.supermemo.com
        www.supermemo.cz

        ktery vyuziva vedecke poznatky tykajici se procesu zapominani.
        Muzu zapujcit verzi na vyzkouseni - bohuzel jiz starsiho data (SuperMemo 8 a SuperMemo for Palm Pilot - ted se divam, ze lze stale koupit vsechny verze; cim starsi tim levnejsi, SM8 stoji jen $4 - zajimave). Existuje i verze na webu zdarma.

        Tomas
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 7, 2005
          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Tomas Holub, Lokativ"
          <lokativ@g...> wrote:
          > Pro nepritomne - puvodni ceske slovo bylo "hracickovat" - ve vyznamu
          > hrat si s necim, delat neco jen pro radost.

          Hence 'hracicka' - inter alia 'a person who always tinkers with
          things' according to Fronek. A nice addition to my 'Czechs have a word
          for it' collection. Alongside 'vlastiveda'.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 7, 2005
            > Hence 'hracicka' - inter alia 'a person who always tinkers with things'
            according to Fronek.

            Typical sentence with this word: "Ty jsi ale hracicka." or "To [on] je ale
            hracicka."; with a sort of derogative meaning...

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 8, 2005
              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jirka Bolech" <jirka.bolech@s...>
              wrote:
              > > Hence 'hracicka' - inter alia 'a person who always tinkers with
              things'
              > according to Fronek.
              >
              > Typical sentence with this word: "Ty jsi ale hracicka." or "To [on]
              je ale
              > hracicka."; with a sort of derogative meaning...

              OK thanks, you mean with a suggestion of amateurism and dilettantism,
              i.e. that the hracicka just likes to mess around and doesn't do
              anything properly?

              I presume it could also be used in an affectionate and indulgent manner.