Re: Help: pamatne hory

    Message 1 of 3 , May 29, 2005
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "coilinoc" <coilinoc@y...> wrote:

      > It's me again.

      ITMA! :-)

      Has anyone any idea what "pamatne hory" might be in
      > this context?
      > Vznikaji specialni pisne k poutim na pamatne hory. Would something
      > like "Special songs evolved for pilgrimages to mountains of religious
      > significance" do???)

      Could we play around with 'heritage' here? Heritage-steeped mountains?
      Heritage-imbued mountains? Or tradition-steeped mountains already?

      > Note: I've put it in the past tense in English cos it's a text about a
      > certain historical period, which Czech historians often seem to write
      > about in the present tense once they've established what era they are
      > discussing. Have any other English nsers ever noticed this and found
      > it odd? Just wondering...

      :-) I reckon you have a bad case of the Present Historic (described in
      Part Two of my Czech-English Translation Problems site).

      M.
      I take a simple view of life: keep your eyes open and get on with it.
      LAURENCE OLIVIER