INFO/CHAT: Bits and bobs

    Message 1 of 6 , May 28, 2005
      Just tying up a couple of loose ends from our recent gathering:

      1) Playing/messing around e.g. with some hobby = pottering around
      with, tinkering around with (somehow sounds more metallic :-) than
      pottering around, so perhaps more appropriate for computers)

      2) "on internet" (without article); not recommended at all. Perhaps
      just conceivable in the telegraphic style you see e.g. in tables and
      lists, but unusual even there IMHO.

      3) VTrain Vocabulary Trainer - highly recommended!
      VTrain (Vocabulary Trainer) is flashcard software that tests you on
      Question/Answer flashcards and draws up a schedule of repetitions ...
      www.paul-raedle.de/vtrain/home.htm

      4) Freemind mind-mapping software:
      http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

      5) 900+ online TV channels at:
      http://wwitv.com/portal.htm

      Highly recommend Classic FM TV under United Kingdom for 'music while
      you (don't) work' and CT24. Hanoi TV is not to be missed either.

      6) redirecting a message for those interested in Hyman Kaplan originals:

      >http://megabooks.cz/book.php?id=0156278111

      >I'm only afraid that they have a wrong cover picture, compare
      >http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0156278111
      >- that's the one I saw in shops some years ago
      >and bought for a friend who was interested.

      BR

      Melvyn
      Aristotle maintained that women have fewer teeth than men; although he
      was twice married, it never occurred to him to verify this statement
      by examining his wives' mouths.
      - Bertrand Russell
    • spektrum2002
      Message 2 of 6 , May 30, 2005
        Diky, Melvyne, s tim odkazem jsi mì potesil, uz jsem si to objednal.
        > 6) redirecting a message for those interested in Hyman Kaplan
        originals:

        > >http://megabooks.cz/book.php?id=0156278111
        >
        > >I'm only afraid that they have a wrong cover picture, compare
        > >http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0156278111
        > >- that's the one I saw in shops some years ago
        > >and bought for a friend who was interested.
      • Tomas Holub, Lokativ
        Message 3 of 6 , May 30, 2005
          Diky Melvyne,

          dovolim si pripojit par komentaru:

          >Just tying up a couple of loose ends from our recent gathering:
          >
          >1) Playing/messing around e.g. with some hobby = pottering around
          >with, tinkering around with (somehow sounds more metallic :-) than
          >pottering around, so perhaps more appropriate for computers)

          Pro nepritomne - puvodni ceske slovo bylo "hracickovat" - ve vyznamu
          hrat si s necim, delat neco jen pro radost.

          >2) "on internet" (without article); not recommended at all. Perhaps
          >just conceivable in the telegraphic style you see e.g. in tables and
          >lists, but unusual even there IMHO.

          Z pohledu "geeka" - bez clenu bych to take nepouzil. Take se stale resi,
          zda pouzivat male nebo velke pismeno. Zalezi spise na "presvedceni"
          autora - Internet (s velkym I) je nazev celosvetove site propojene
          protokolem internet (s malym i). Toto rozdeleni pochopitelne neni zrejme
          pro laickou verejnost.

          >3) VTrain Vocabulary Trainer - highly recommended!
          >VTrain (Vocabulary Trainer) is flashcard software that tests you on
          >Question/Answer flashcards and draws up a schedule of repetitions ...
          >www.paul-raedle.de/vtrain/home.htm

          Pro "hracicky" ;-) doporucuji software SuperMemo,

          www.supermemo.com
          www.supermemo.cz

          ktery vyuziva vedecke poznatky tykajici se procesu zapominani.
          Muzu zapujcit verzi na vyzkouseni - bohuzel jiz starsiho data (SuperMemo 8 a SuperMemo for Palm Pilot - ted se divam, ze lze stale koupit vsechny verze; cim starsi tim levnejsi, SM8 stoji jen $4 - zajimave). Existuje i verze na webu zdarma.

          Tomas
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 7 4:50 AM
            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Tomas Holub, Lokativ"
            <lokativ@g...> wrote:
            > Pro nepritomne - puvodni ceske slovo bylo "hracickovat" - ve vyznamu
            > hrat si s necim, delat neco jen pro radost.

            Hence 'hracicka' - inter alia 'a person who always tinkers with
            things' according to Fronek. A nice addition to my 'Czechs have a word
            for it' collection. Alongside 'vlastiveda'.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 7 5:11 AM
              > Hence 'hracicka' - inter alia 'a person who always tinkers with things'
              according to Fronek.

              Typical sentence with this word: "Ty jsi ale hracicka." or "To [on] je ale
              hracicka."; with a sort of derogative meaning...

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 8 4:25 AM
                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jirka Bolech" <jirka.bolech@s...>
                wrote:
                > > Hence 'hracicka' - inter alia 'a person who always tinkers with
                things'
                > according to Fronek.
                >
                > Typical sentence with this word: "Ty jsi ale hracicka." or "To [on]
                je ale
                > hracicka."; with a sort of derogative meaning...

                OK thanks, you mean with a suggestion of amateurism and dilettantism,
                i.e. that the hracicka just likes to mess around and doesn't do
                anything properly?

                I presume it could also be used in an affectionate and indulgent manner.