Re: [Czechlist] Re: "Zavodeni na cas"

  • Petr Veselý
    Message 1 of 4 , May 25, 2005
      From: "melvyn.geo" <zehrovak@...>

      > Just out of curiosity,

      Uh-oh...

      The thing is, the problem occured in one of my recent jobs, it was an
      express translation so not much time to think about it, I used "clocked",
      which is not good and I know it now but for the unlikely case that I will
      come across it in future, I want to be ready next time :-)

      > what would best correspond to our " pojidani knedliku
      > / rezani polen atd. NA CAS" i.e. the guy who finishes first wins.

      I thought all races were won by the guy (or gal) who finished first.

      Not always, as Matej pointed out, there are competitions where quantity
      matters, not time, and I had to distinguish it; in a nearby village of
      Mutenice, they hold Championship in drinking slivovice every year, two years
      ago the "winner" had to be taken to hospital due to alcohol poisoning, not
      kidding :-)

      Thanks for your contributions, Melvyn and Matej.

      Petr

      Yahoo! Groups Links