Re: [Czechlist] THANKs -- TERM: kraj

  • Michael Grant
    Message 1 of 12 , May 2, 2005
      On May 2, 2005, at 9:01 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

      > Unlike Martin, I see certain superiority of using 'province' over using
      > 'region' for kraj, but I never meant to suggest really using the former
      > agains the main stream. I think 'province' is better than 'region',
      > because
      > without enough context or background, I believe, it is easier to guess
      > what
      > sort or relative size of administrative unit it is. 'Region' simply
      > has a
      > too broad meaning.

      I've used 'province' once or twice for 'zeme' (i.e.
      Bohemia/Moravia/Silesia).

      > I also agree with Michael that 'county' is a nice solution to
      > translating
      > "okres", as the well-established 'district' sounds more like it's for
      > election purposes only.

      Well, as Jamie noted, I'd probably really only use 'county' for a
      hrabstvi.

      Michael

      --
      "When you think you just lack words, what you really lack are ideas."
      - George Lakoff
      Message 2 of 12 , May 2, 2005
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jirka Bolech" <jirka.bolech@s...>
        wrote:
        > Thanks guys, Martin, Jamie, Michael, for your ideas.
        >
        > Unlike Martin, I see certain superiority of using 'province' over
        using
        > 'region' for kraj, but I never meant to suggest really using the
        former
        > agains the main stream. I think 'province' is better
        than 'region', because
        > without enough context or background, I believe, it is easier to
        guess what
        > sort or relative size of administrative unit it is. 'Region'
        simply has a
        > too broad meaning.
        >
        > I can't, however, but agree and adjust to the fact that 'region'
        is the word
        > most commonly used for "kraj", although 'province' does show a
        fair degree
        > of usage for this, not only by Czechs, but other nationalities,
        which
        > apparently have different dictionaries, as well.
        >
        > I also agree with Michael that 'county' is a nice solution to
        translating
        > "okres", as the well-established 'district' sounds more like it's
        for
        > election purposes only.
        >
        > Frankly, I'm not much wiser about translating "kraj" now. It's
        just occurred
        > to me that keeping the Czech word, perhaps capitalizing
        it, "Kraj", within
        > names of particular ones, may be a good way of dealing with that
        issue...

        I feel something weird or strange (old-fashioned?) in assigning CR
        administrative units as counties or provinces. I like much more
        regions and districts. You are right that they are both too broad
        terms, but they sound nice neutral and modern to me, and when used
        with the context making it clear...why not? Region of..., District
        of...
        It also seems to be an example of a case when you as a translator
        do not need to feel yourself obliged to find a solution, but rather
        leave it neutral and open toward further development (settling
        down).

        K.
      • Michael Gmail
        Message 3 of 12 , May 3, 2005
          On May 2, 2005, at 9:54 AM, melvyn.geo wrote:

          >> "Kraj", within
          >> names of particular ones, may be a good way of dealing with that
          >>
          > issue...
          >
          > Or whichever translation you choose, add 'kraj' in brackets at the
          > first mention. Always more than one way to skin a cat.

          'Krai' and 'oblast' seem to be pretty common in English with
          reference to Russian administrative units. I'm not entirely sure
          whether that would be an argument for or against using the Czech
          words in English texts....

          Michael

          --
          <http://globalocal.blogspot.com/>

          "Open the pod bay doors, Hal."
          "I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."
          Message 4 of 12 , May 12, 2005
            More rather belated thanks for further ideas to Simon, Melvyn, Michael, and
            Kostas.

            Your respective contributions convinced me that 'region' remains the best
            safe choice translating "kraj" as an administrative unit of the Czech
            Republic with a bit of opening for the unexplored possibility of leaving the
            word in Czech...