Re: Women in WWII

    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2005
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jirka Bolech" <jirka.bolech@s...>
      wrote:

      > > "Average wage was L2 4s 6d. (L meaning GBP)."
      >
      > L for Latin 'libra' = pound, s for shilling, d for Latin 'denarii' =
      pence.
      > 1 pound was 20 shilling and 1 shilling was 12 pence.

      Correct. Before decimalization in the early 1970s, we often referred
      to pounds, shillings and old pence as LSD. Old shilling coins (= 12
      old pence) had the same value as five new pence coins, so L2 4s 6d
      equalled L2 22.5 p (= new pence).

      > > "Churchill was side lined for Labour and our desire for a brave new
      > world."
      >
      > I presume that 'Labour' refers to the political party,

      Correct again. The capital L tells us that this was the Labour Party,
      which won a resounding victory in the 1946 'khaki election', even
      though Conservative Winston Churchill was still very popular (he was
      reelected PM a couple of times in the 1950s).

      Normally, I'd expect the verb 'sideline' to be all one word. Here it
      basically means that Winston was 'put to one side' in favour of
      Labour. The expression 'brave new world' was made popular by Aldous
      Huxley's dystopian novel of the same name (translated into Czech as
      Konec civilizace). 'Brave' here has the old meaning of marvellous -
      skvely, vyborny. This phrase is often used to refer to optimistic
      visions of the future.

      Without publicity a terrible thing happens: nothing.
      - P.T. Barnum
    • Zuzana Kocicková
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2005
        Thanks Jirka and Simon. I could have rememberred that Ch. lost the election
        in 1945:-)
        Z.
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2005
          >the 1946 'khaki election'

          Correction: 1945 :-)

          I try not to speak more clearly than I think.
          - Niels Bohr