RE: [Czechlist] Women in WWII

    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2005
      Hi Zuzana,

      > "Average wage was L2 4s 6d. (L meaning GBP)."

      L for Latin 'libra' = pound, s for shilling, d for Latin 'denarii' = pence.
      1 pound was 20 shilling and 1 shilling was 12 pence.

      > "Churchill was side lined for Labour and our desire for a brave new
      world."

      I presume that 'Labour' refers to the political party, but I'm not really
      sure...

      Jirka Bolech
    • Simon Vollam
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2005
        > > "Churchill was side lined for Labour and our desire for a brave
        new
        > world."
        >
        > I presume that 'Labour' refers to the political party, but I'm not
        really
        > sure...

        That's right. To many people's surprise, Churchill lost the general
        election in 1945. The sentence means: Churchill was rejected in
        favour
        of the Labour Party, because people felt Labour represented the
        future
        and Churchill represented the past.

        Simon
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2005
          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jirka Bolech" <jirka.bolech@s...>
          wrote:

          > > "Average wage was L2 4s 6d. (L meaning GBP)."
          >
          > L for Latin 'libra' = pound, s for shilling, d for Latin 'denarii' =
          pence.
          > 1 pound was 20 shilling and 1 shilling was 12 pence.

          Correct. Before decimalization in the early 1970s, we often referred
          to pounds, shillings and old pence as LSD. Old shilling coins (= 12
          old pence) had the same value as five new pence coins, so L2 4s 6d
          equalled L2 22.5 p (= new pence).

          > > "Churchill was side lined for Labour and our desire for a brave new
          > world."
          >
          > I presume that 'Labour' refers to the political party,

          Correct again. The capital L tells us that this was the Labour Party,
          which won a resounding victory in the 1946 'khaki election', even
          though Conservative Winston Churchill was still very popular (he was
          reelected PM a couple of times in the 1950s).

          Normally, I'd expect the verb 'sideline' to be all one word. Here it
          basically means that Winston was 'put to one side' in favour of
          Labour. The expression 'brave new world' was made popular by Aldous
          Huxley's dystopian novel of the same name (translated into Czech as
          Konec civilizace). 'Brave' here has the old meaning of marvellous -
          skvely, vyborny. This phrase is often used to refer to optimistic
          visions of the future.

          Without publicity a terrible thing happens: nothing.
          - P.T. Barnum
        • Zuzana Kocicková
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1, 2005
            Thanks Jirka and Simon. I could have rememberred that Ch. lost the election
            in 1945:-)
            Z.

            Message 5 of 6 , May 1, 2005
              >the 1946 'khaki election'

              Correction: 1945 :-)

              I try not to speak more clearly than I think.
              - Niels Bohr