Women in WWII

  • Zuzana Kočičková
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2005
      Anybody here?

      An article about women in WWII says:

      "Average wage was L2 4s 6d. (L meaning GBP)."

      and another sentence I do not understand quite clearly:

      "Churchill was side lined for Labour and our desire for a brave new world."
      Was he side lined for the labour of women during the war and their desire for a change in their social status?

      Thanks for any suggestions

      Zuzana

      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2005
        Hi Zuzana,

        > "Average wage was L2 4s 6d. (L meaning GBP)."

        L for Latin 'libra' = pound, s for shilling, d for Latin 'denarii' = pence.
        1 pound was 20 shilling and 1 shilling was 12 pence.

        > "Churchill was side lined for Labour and our desire for a brave new
        world."

        I presume that 'Labour' refers to the political party, but I'm not really
        sure...

        Jirka Bolech
      • Simon Vollam
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2005
          > > "Churchill was side lined for Labour and our desire for a brave
          new
          > world."
          >
          > I presume that 'Labour' refers to the political party, but I'm not
          really
          > sure...

          That's right. To many people's surprise, Churchill lost the general
          election in 1945. The sentence means: Churchill was rejected in
          favour
          of the Labour Party, because people felt Labour represented the
          future
          and Churchill represented the past.

          Simon
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1, 2005
            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jirka Bolech" <jirka.bolech@s...>
            wrote:

            > > "Average wage was L2 4s 6d. (L meaning GBP)."
            >
            > L for Latin 'libra' = pound, s for shilling, d for Latin 'denarii' =
            pence.
            > 1 pound was 20 shilling and 1 shilling was 12 pence.

            Correct. Before decimalization in the early 1970s, we often referred
            to pounds, shillings and old pence as LSD. Old shilling coins (= 12
            old pence) had the same value as five new pence coins, so L2 4s 6d
            equalled L2 22.5 p (= new pence).

            > > "Churchill was side lined for Labour and our desire for a brave new
            > world."
            >
            > I presume that 'Labour' refers to the political party,

            Correct again. The capital L tells us that this was the Labour Party,
            which won a resounding victory in the 1946 'khaki election', even
            though Conservative Winston Churchill was still very popular (he was
            reelected PM a couple of times in the 1950s).

            Normally, I'd expect the verb 'sideline' to be all one word. Here it
            basically means that Winston was 'put to one side' in favour of
            Labour. The expression 'brave new world' was made popular by Aldous
            Huxley's dystopian novel of the same name (translated into Czech as
            Konec civilizace). 'Brave' here has the old meaning of marvellous -
            skvely, vyborny. This phrase is often used to refer to optimistic
            visions of the future.

            Without publicity a terrible thing happens: nothing.
            - P.T. Barnum
          • Zuzana Kocicková
            Message 5 of 6 , May 1, 2005
              Thanks Jirka and Simon. I could have rememberred that Ch. lost the election
              in 1945:-)
              Z.

              Message 6 of 6 , May 1, 2005
                >the 1946 'khaki election'

                Correction: 1945 :-)

                I try not to speak more clearly than I think.
                - Niels Bohr