Re: [Czechlist] zastavni pravo

  • Michael Trittipo
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2005
      On Sat, Apr 30, 2005 at 02:10:06PM +0200, Zuzana Kočičková wrote:
      > Hi Czechlisters,
      >
      > is there any difference between
      > "security interest" and "collateral" ?

      Yes. A "security interest" is what one has in "collateral." The former describes a certain kind of legal right; the latter describes some thing of value as to which someone has that kind of right. I say that you can take my computer if I don't pay you some money I owe you. The computer is now collateral (although I keep it in my possession); what you have by virtue of my promise is a security interest in my computer. That doesn't make the computer into a security interest; the computer is still just collateral.

      I'd look for some definitions, but I think the above should be clear enough even without a precise defintion.

      Hope it helps.
    • Zuzana Kočičková
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2005
        Thanks a million James and Michael. Now I know how to use these terms.

        BR

        Zuzana