Re: [Czechlist] Re: vicemiss

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 21, 2005
      On Thursday, April 21, 2005, at 02:07 AM, Petr Veselý wrote:

      > Also, is there
      > > any way of saying something like "the first runner-up in the Miss
      > > Czech Republic competition" without it souding lile she finished
      > > second in the competiton the first time it was held?  What's the
      > > difference between a first runner-up and a second runner-up anyway?
      >
      > I guess the difference is in the number of votes (and prize money :-)
      > they
      > get...

      And if Miss Chebsko cannot fulfill her duties during the year, the
      first runner-up takes her place. If both of them can't do it, then the
      second runner-up takes the position.

      The famous case of this in the US was when Vanessa Williams became Miss
      America and then it was discovered that she had posed for erotic photos
      in the past. Her "crown" went to the first runner-up.